Bug 868960 - thunderbird 16.0.1-2 breaks LDAP queries (16.0.1-1 works)
thunderbird 16.0.1-2 breaks LDAP queries (16.0.1-1 works)
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: thunderbird (Show other bugs)
17
x86_64 Linux
unspecified Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jan Horak
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-10-22 10:52 EDT by tengel
Modified: 2012-10-23 09:41 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2012-10-23 09:41:16 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description tengel 2012-10-22 10:52:54 EDT
Description of problem:

Upgrading to thunderbird-16.0.1-2 and xulrunner-16.0.1-2 causes an LDAP query to hang the CPU core and return no results. This happens in both the compose screen and Address Book. Downgrading both thunderbird and xulrunner to 16.0.1-1 "fixes" the problem, LDAP works as expected.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

thunderbird-16.0.1-2.fc17.x86_64.rpm
xulrunner-16.0.1-2.fc17.x86_64.rpm

thunderbird-lightning-1.8-1.fc17.x86_64

Extra addons via XPI downloads:
- Enigmail 1.4.5
- Exchange 2007/2010 Calendar 3.1.1
- .vcs Support 0.6.4

How reproducible:

100%, multiple restarts and testing different ways.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. yum update (upgrade thunderbird/xulrunner)
2. compose mail, type name from eDir
3. hang a core (thunderbird 100%, 0 LDAP results)
  
Actual results:

The UI remains responsive so it's not a blocking failure, however no results are returned and we're pegging a core.

Expected results:

LDAP results as with 16.0.1-1 (normal)

Additional info:

LDAP is a Novell eDir server, using standard port 389 and has a simple server/port designation. No binddn is used either, it's a very basic setup.
Comment 1 Martin Stransky 2012-10-23 05:59:46 EDT
Hm, the only diference between xulrunner-16.0.1-2 and xulrunner-16.0.1-1 is a rebuild with new nss/nspr dependency.

Can you test the LDAP search in safe-mode?
Comment 2 tengel 2012-10-23 09:41:16 EDT
I tried various forms of debugging this morning (NSPR_LOG_MODULES) and still couldn't put my finger on the culprit. So, I went through all the various files in my profile (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_folders_in_the_profile_-_Thunderbird), deleted things like history.mab, ldap-1.mab, removed the LDAP server and prefs and rebuilt everything I could find. Now it's all working as expected.

I'll close this as NOTABUG since it appears to have been some sort of corruption in my profile; this profile has been around for a long time (at least Fedora 13) so can't say as to what cruft had gotten up in there.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.