Bug 880461 - IBus grabs the hotkey regardless of GTK_IM_MODULE variable
IBus grabs the hotkey regardless of GTK_IM_MODULE variable
Status: CLOSED EOL
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: ibus (Show other bugs)
19
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity unspecified
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: fujiwara
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
: Regression
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-11-26 22:39 EST by Akira TAGOH
Modified: 2015-02-17 09:35 EST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2015-02-17 09:35:05 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Akira TAGOH 2012-11-26 22:39:29 EST
Description of problem:
GTK+ is capable to work with various immodules on demand, ibus prevents other immodules works properly, particularly they use same hotkey to ibus.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
ibus-1.4.99.20121006-2.fc17.x86_64

How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.make sure ibus is running
2.GTK_IM_MODULE=something gedit (scim or uim say)
3.press ctrl+space on application
  
Actual results:
ibus's switcher window is open and no actions on the primary immodule on application

Expected results:
no actions on ibus and the primary immodule should works.

Additional info:
I'd say this is the regression since it worked before, at least on f17 GA, which didn't have the switcher window yet.
Comment 1 fujiwara 2012-11-27 20:15:28 EST
I think this also happens in case gnome-shell is used.
gnome-settings-daemon always switches input sources in GNOME 3.6 so probably it's good to expand the more general topic in GtkIMModule.

(In reply to comment #0)
> Actual results:
> ibus's switcher window is open and no actions on the primary immodule on
> application
> 

I think the switcher window is shown but the GtkIMModule could work.
Comment 2 Akira TAGOH 2012-11-27 20:59:33 EST
(In reply to comment #1)
> I think this also happens in case gnome-shell is used.
> gnome-settings-daemon always switches input sources in GNOME 3.6 so probably
> it's good to expand the more general topic in GtkIMModule.

Let me check.

> I think the switcher window is shown but the GtkIMModule could work.

Apparently no. the key event seems not delivered to the immodule.
Comment 3 fujiwara 2012-11-27 21:06:59 EST
(In reply to comment #2)
> Apparently no. the key event seems not delivered to the immodule.

I think the hotkeys only are not delivered but other keys are handled by GtkIMModule.
I meant the selected GtkIMModule is enabled.
Comment 4 Akira TAGOH 2012-11-27 21:09:29 EST
(In reply to comment #1)
> I think this also happens in case gnome-shell is used.
> gnome-settings-daemon always switches input sources in GNOME 3.6 so probably
> it's good to expand the more general topic in GtkIMModule.

Tested on RC1. it just works fine. so I'd say this is ibus specific issue (so far unless you are proposing the switcher window to GNOME that behaves similarly)
Comment 5 Akira TAGOH 2012-11-27 21:17:39 EST
(In reply to comment #3)
> (In reply to comment #2)
> > Apparently no. the key event seems not delivered to the immodule.
> 
> I think the hotkeys only are not delivered but other keys are handled by
> GtkIMModule.
> I meant the selected GtkIMModule is enabled.

Sorry, I don't got what you are trying to say. as I summarized in the initial report, I'm talking about the hotkey here.
Comment 6 fujiwara 2012-11-27 21:47:56 EST
(In reply to comment #5)
> Sorry, I don't got what you are trying to say. as I summarized in the
> initial report, I'm talking about the hotkey here.

I mean that hotkeys only are handled by ibus gtk panel but other key events are handled by GtkIMModule and I think it's same with gnome-shell mode.
Currently my VM box does not render 3D accelerator correctly so I don't test it in gnome-shell.
But I think if the input source shortcut key is assined with gnome-control-center, gnome-settings-daemon binds the shrtcut keys prior to GtkIMModule?

(In reply to comment #4)
> Tested on RC1. it just works fine. so I'd say this is ibus specific issue
> (so far unless you are proposing the switcher window to GNOME that behaves
> similarly)

Thanks. It's not different from my expectation.
Curious that it can be the ibus specific issue.
Comment 7 fujiwara 2012-12-05 21:42:06 EST
(In reply to comment #6)
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > Sorry, I don't got what you are trying to say. as I summarized in the
> > initial report, I'm talking about the hotkey here.
> 
> I mean that hotkeys only are handled by ibus gtk panel but other key events
> are handled by GtkIMModule and I think it's same with gnome-shell mode.
> Currently my VM box does not render 3D accelerator correctly so I don't test
> it in gnome-shell.
> But I think if the input source shortcut key is assined with
> gnome-control-center, gnome-settings-daemon binds the shrtcut keys prior to
> GtkIMModule?
> 
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > Tested on RC1. it just works fine. so I'd say this is ibus specific issue
> > (so far unless you are proposing the switcher window to GNOME that behaves
> > similarly)
> 
> Thanks. It's not different from my expectation.
> Curious that it can be the ibus specific issue.

I confirmed gnome-settings-daemon also grabs hot keys in gnomep-shell mode even if you don't set GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus so I think this is not ibus only.
Comment 8 Akira TAGOH 2012-12-06 01:01:23 EST
Indeed, you are right. even if I don't have any input sources for ibus, it ate the hotkey when it's registered there. though the phenomenon looks same but I don't think it's really same issue since available features and technologies are different between f17 and f18.
Comment 9 Fedora End Of Life 2013-07-03 23:41:51 EDT
This message is a reminder that Fedora 17 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 17. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora 
'version' of '17'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.

Bug Reporter:  Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that 
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 17 is end of life. If you 
would still like  to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it 
against a later version  of Fedora, you are encouraged  change the 
'version' to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.
Comment 10 Akira TAGOH 2013-07-08 07:26:23 EDT
still happens on f19's KDE say.
Comment 11 Fedora End Of Life 2015-01-09 12:29:49 EST
This message is a notice that Fedora 19 is now at end of life. Fedora 
has stopped maintaining and issuing updates for Fedora 19. It is 
Fedora's policy to close all bug reports from releases that are no 
longer maintained. Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now this bug will
be closed as EOL if it remains open with a Fedora 'version' of '19'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version.

Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that we were not 
able to fix it before Fedora 19 is end of life. If you would still like 
to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it against a later version 
of Fedora, you are encouraged  change the 'version' to a later Fedora 
version prior this bug is closed as described in the policy above.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.
Comment 12 Fedora End Of Life 2015-02-17 09:35:05 EST
Fedora 19 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2015-01-06. Fedora 19 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.

If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version. If you
are unable to reopen this bug, please file a new report against the
current release. If you experience problems, please add a comment to this
bug.

Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.