From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030225
Description of problem:
I did a clean install of Redhat 9 on a Dell Precision 410. After doing so, I
ran first boot, and kudzu ran, and detected my sound card and printer. However,
after launching Redhat, the sound driver refused to work. The sound card on
this machine is an onboard cs4237b. Also, at shutdown, it also displays errors
with regard to the soundcard. I encountered this problem in both Redhat 9 and
8.0 but not in 7.3. The soundcard detection software in Redhat 9 and 8.0 also
claims I have no soundcard although it works perfectly on other OSes I've tried
(RH 7.3, Win XP, Knoppix)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Boot the Dell 410
2. Start Redhat.
3. Start XMMS.
Actual Results: XMMS has no sound.
Expected Results: It should have sound.
What error messages do you get from the driver?
When starting KDE, arts complains there is no /dev/dsp and redirects output to
/dev/null. When shutting down, one job fails because it can not find the sound
slot 0. Also, redhat-config-soundcard claims it cannot detect any soundcard.
redhat-config-soundcard doesn't support ISA cards.
Is there an alias for sound-slot-0 in /etc/modules.conf?
What messages do you get in 'dmesg' after running 'modprobe sound-slot-0'?
There's two lines regarding a sound card in /etc/modules.conf
post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1
pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
modprobe returns modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
dmesg only says:
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: Card 'CS4236B'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
However, after I do modprobe sound-slot-1:
ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
ad1848: WSS/SB detected
ad1848: ISAPnP reports 'WSS/SB' at i/o 0x534, irq 5, dma 1, 3
Clarification: the last set of messages were after I ran dmesg after modprobe
sound-slot-1 and the second to last set were before I ran modprobe sound-slot-1
and were near the top of the dmesg list.
After downloading sndconfig and running it, it changed the modules.conf to the
correct values. Everything seems to work now. I'm still confused as to why
kudzu didn't detect the sound card properly.
Closing bugs on older, no longer supported, releases. Apologies for any lack of