on some 7.3 and 8.0 systems (actually all I tried) I'm seeing a strange
vi problem that's 100% reproduceable for me:
- open an xterm
- run vi
- close the xterm without exiting vi properly
Now vim immediately uses all of the available CPU. It can only be killed
using kill -9.
It seems that this happens since updating the kernel and glibc.
However, this also happens on some 7.3 systems where I only upgraded
It does not happen on one 7.2 box where I'm still using the old glibc:
It also doesn't happen on a Red Hat 9 system (without glibc updates):
It still works fine after updating to glibc-2.3.2-27.9
I then attached to one vim process with strace. I got thousands of lines
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
That's quite an issue on multi-user systems ...
Oh, there's a strace output from Brent Nordquist available:
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 83700 ***
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.