Bug 884889 - device-mapper behavior and detection problem
device-mapper behavior and detection problem
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: lvm2 (Show other bugs)
17
Unspecified Linux
unspecified Severity unspecified
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Ben Marzinski
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-12-06 18:30 EST by George Machitidze
Modified: 2013-08-01 12:52 EDT (History)
13 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-08-01 12:52:46 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Details-commands - dmproblem.txt (15.64 KB, text/plain)
2012-12-06 18:30 EST, George Machitidze
no flags Details
installed packages for the moment (127.88 KB, text/plain)
2012-12-06 18:31 EST, George Machitidze
no flags Details
yum.log since ovirt installation (128.52 KB, text/plain)
2012-12-06 18:32 EST, George Machitidze
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description George Machitidze 2012-12-06 18:30:49 EST
Created attachment 659101 [details]
Details-commands - dmproblem.txt

Description of problem:
Please see attachment dmproblem.txt!
About 1-2 months ago I've noticed that some drives are not available for my system, but accessible after running partprobe. After more investigation - I was unable to access them via /dev/sd* naming. Not really sure that it's a problem of device-mapper, but it's closer to that. Problem might be somehow related to ovirt-engine installation too done in same period.
Configuration files verified with RPM, nothing special found: no extra files, no special changes. Not sure is this device-mapper or other problem. 

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
rpm -qa|sort output attached + yum update log.

How reproducible:
Not sure, but installing same packages may give same results.
   
Actual results:
Disk devices are sometimes not accessible as /dev/sd*, binding is strandly done via /dev/mapper.

Expected results:
Block devices must be accessible through /dev/sd* naming or at least it should not depend on time or partprobe

Additional info:
PC configuration won't be changed while this bug will be open or assigned.
Comment 1 George Machitidze 2012-12-06 18:31:38 EST
Created attachment 659102 [details]
installed packages for the moment

output of rpm -qa|sort
Comment 2 George Machitidze 2012-12-06 18:32:17 EST
Created attachment 659103 [details]
yum.log since ovirt installation
Comment 3 Bryn M. Reeves 2013-02-08 07:41:56 EST
It looks like you have enabled device-mapper-multipath without blacklisting the local disks. This means that they are bound to device-mapper devices under /dev/mapper using the disks WWID/serial as the device name.

The other possibility is that you have some BIOS/"fake" RAID configuration on these disks (e.g. Intel ISW RAID or Matrix RAID). From the names you have it doesn't appear that this is the case (they typically include the metadata format used on the disks).

You can confirm this by examining the output of "dmsetup info -c". Look at the device UUIDs which contain a string (e.g. lvm2, mpath, kpartx) indicating the application that created the mapped device.

When using dmraid or multipath the normal SCSI device nodes are removed to prevent their being accidentally used instead of the redundant dm device.
Comment 4 George Machitidze 2013-03-10 19:10:35 EDT
Package device-mapper-multipath was installed and removed and that's the result.
Package device-mapper-multipath-libs is still there.

No HW/mdraid/dmraid(fakeraid) in here - pure native SATA only, and because of this "dmsetup info -c" shows only LVM mapping.

Very strange thing for me was the issue about the time, when after few minutes some mappings were lost. :S


I've updated packages to the latest available versions and now everything works fine, all the mappings are correct and all the paths in /dev/disk/ are OK.
Comment 5 Fedora End Of Life 2013-07-04 01:40:52 EDT
This message is a reminder that Fedora 17 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 17. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora 
'version' of '17'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.

Bug Reporter:  Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that 
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 17 is end of life. If you 
would still like  to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it 
against a later version  of Fedora, you are encouraged  change the 
'version' to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 17's end of life.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.
Comment 6 Fedora End Of Life 2013-08-01 12:52:55 EDT
Fedora 17 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2013-07-30. Fedora 17 is 
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further 
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.

If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of 
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.

Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.