Bug 88581 - fonts seem to be totally screwed on 1st install
fonts seem to be totally screwed on 1st install
Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME
Product: Red Hat Raw Hide
Classification: Retired
Component: openoffice.org (Show other bugs)
1.0
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jakub Jelinek
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2003-04-10 22:43 EDT by Kaj J. Niemi
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:52 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-05-22 08:40:30 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Screen capture showing problem (68.06 KB, image/png)
2003-04-29 09:49 EDT, Kaj J. Niemi
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Kaj J. Niemi 2003-04-10 22:43:07 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030303

Description of problem:
Attempting to start oosetup for the 1st time after installing
openoffice-1.0.2-4.i386.rpm, openoffice-i18n-1.0.2-4.i386.rpm,
openoffice-libs-1.0.2-4.i386.rpm results in bad user experience and totally
unusable openoffice environment.

Attached picture of oosetup on a 1400x1050 screen.

Haven't figured out yet where it gets the font settings from. oosetup seems to
be a interesting little script that does a lot of weird and wonderful sed
translations on XML data...

Am able to reproduce this on two separate systems.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install openoffice 1.0.2-4
2. run oosetup/writer/etc.
3. 
    

Actual Results:  Huge fonts preventing any sane actions inside the program.

Expected Results:  Should use smaller fonts.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Kaj J. Niemi 2003-04-10 22:52:36 EDT
Hard to get screen capture of the situation as gimp/xwd report pretty much the
same (example below)

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  91 (X_QueryColors)
  Value in failed request:  0x57807c0
  Serial number of failed request:  529
  Current serial number in output stream:  529
xwud: Error => Unable to read dump file header.

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  91 (X_QueryColors)
  Value in failed request:  0x8050760
  Serial number of failed request:  1034
  Current serial number in output stream:  1034
                                                                               
                                                       
Comment 2 Kaj J. Niemi 2003-04-10 22:55:08 EDT
Estimate font size over 72 or so, no buttons visible at all.
Comment 3 Kaj J. Niemi 2003-04-29 09:49:17 EDT
Created attachment 91382 [details]
Screen capture showing problem

This is what starting oowriter looks like, huge fonts, huge buttons, etc. :-)
Comment 4 Kaj J. Niemi 2003-05-22 08:40:30 EDT
Found the problem. ;-) Seems like openoffice is actually interested in the DPI
settings returned by X11.

xpdyinfo stated: (before fixing)
screen #0:
  dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (60x40 millimeters)
  resolution:    593x667 dots per inch
  depths (7):    16, 1, 4, 8, 15, 24, 32

Now: 

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (301x220 millimeters)
  resolution:    118x121 dots per inch
  depths (7):    16, 1, 4, 8, 15, 24, 32

I have no clue what so ever where the 60x40 got entered into /etc/X11/XF86Config
but fixing those fixed the font problem with OO.

Alternatively one could use redhat-config-xfree86 to fix this.

Works for me, probably works for the other guys (2-3 tts) having these problems.
Comment 5 Mike A. Harris 2003-05-22 17:06:20 EDT
This isn't an openoffice bug.  It might be an X config tool bug though.
Comment 6 Kaj J. Niemi 2003-05-22 17:28:01 EDT
Yup, however at the point in time I opened the bug the only problem was
exhibited by openoffice. Today I sort of stumbled upon rhgb which funnily enough
exhibited the same kind of a font problem so I knew it wasn't just a problem
with OO anymore. I actually stumbled upon bug #91401 at that point, too.

I've got no idea under what to reclassify this as so I'll leave it in
openoffice. People looking for a solution might also find it a bit easier. :)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.