Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 88861
USB (HP ScanJet 5300C / xsane flakiness)
Last modified: 2005-10-31 17:00:50 EST
Description of problem:
I have had a number of random occassions since installing RedHat 9 where my
computer has suddenly frozen. In every instance it has been a hard lock which
requires a manual reset. I have been unable to detect any pattern to the lockups
and had no real clue until today. At bootup today the kernel froze while
initializing the hard drives. I didn't write down the exact message
unfortunately but it involved setting up the DMA of the drives. The message said
something along the lines of "unexpected DMA interrupt on /dev/hde".
I did not have any problem similar to this running RedHat 7.0, 7.3 or 8.0.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Linux version 2.4.20-9 (firstname.lastname@example.org) (gcc version 3.2.2
20030313 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-10)) #1 Wed Apr 2 13:42:50 EST 2003
Happens once every couple of days but unexpectedly.
- single processor
- ABit BE6II motherboard (HighPoint ATA66 controller)
- 2 hard drives, 1 CD/DVD-ROM and 1 CD-RW all on separate IDE controllers
- /dev/hda is a Pioner DVD-ROM (DVD-106S 010) -- ATA33
- /dev/hdc is a Yamaha CD-RW (CRW3200E) -- ATA33
- /dev/hde (which received the unexpected DMA) is a 20GB IBM (model
DPTA-372050) -- ATA66 with ATA33 drive
- /dev/hdg is a 40GB Maxtor (model 6L040J2?) -- ATA66 with capable drive
- 20GB RAID 0 (I think) across the two harddrives
- 3/4 GB swap on 40GB Maxtor
- approx. 20GB LVM on 40GB Maxtor
- RedHat 9 with recent updates to glibc and kernel from RHN.
- Crashes began with stock RedHat 9 before any updates though.
I have the same motherboard and in one of my test systems and I couldn't
reproduce this type of behavior.
* Please use memtest86 for a few hours just to be sure your hardware didn't
begin failing recently.
Please also try IBM's DFT test from here. It doesn't work fully on non-IBM
drives, but it will do tests and report certain problems.
I have the same problem.
I upgraded from rh8.0 to rh9.0 the system works correctly
but after 3 days the system crash and my ext3 file system was destroyed.
I reinstalled the rh9.0, the system works correctly in run level 3 mode but
with run level 5 the application bar doesn't works after the
first application started.
Mozilla and Konqueror works correctly but after some minutes, during a new
web page request, the system completely freeze and I must reset the hardware with
the on/off button. It seems some memory problems or hardware problems
but after a downgrade to rh8.0 the system works perfectly.
I've run memtest86 for several hours and it passed all of them fine. I haven't
been able to test the hard drive utility yet since I have to figure out how to
burn a bootable CD of it (no floppy drive).
One general impression is that the crashes seem to happen when the disks begin
thrashing. The crashes have happened when when I have Mozilla and Evolution open
and suddenly the disk starts thrashing. If I close everything it still churns
for awhile and eventually locks up. If I log off immediately it seems to prevent
it from freezing. I'll try to narrow it down further...
I haven't had a freeze up since upgrading to kernel 2.4.20-13.9. I'm running
2.4.20-18.9 now and that has been working fine too. I only had problems with
kernels 2.4.20-9 and 2.4.20-8.
I've just experienced a hang again. However, I believe the cause to be different
then I initially suspected. After rearranging my computer, I decided to plug in
my hp ScanJet 5300C USB scanner which I hadn't had connected for awhile because
the connection seemed flakey. This went without incident for approximately 12
hours and then the computer froze, exactly as before. I did open xsane once or
twice in this time period, before the crash, but only received a "no scanners
When I think back to past freezes, I recall having trouble with the scanner at
the time (see also bug #97408 which I just recently filed) and now have the
feeling that the problem lies in the USB or sane code somewhere.
Thanks for the bug report. However, Red Hat no longer maintains this version of
the product. Please upgrade to the latest version and open a new bug if the problem
The Fedora Legacy project (http://fedoralegacy.org/) maintains some older releases,
and if you believe this bug is interesting to them, please report the problem in
the bug tracker at: http://bugzilla.fedora.us/