Bug 889299 - missing data in blackbox debug output
Summary: missing data in blackbox debug output
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
Classification: Red Hat
Component: libqb
Version: 6.4
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
medium
medium
Target Milestone: rc
: ---
Assignee: David Vossel
QA Contact: Cluster QE
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks: 883504
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2012-12-20 18:00 UTC by David Vossel
Modified: 2013-11-21 11:52 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Fixed In Version: libqb-0.16.0-2.el6
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-11-21 11:52:48 UTC
Target Upstream Version:


Attachments (Terms of Use)


Links
System ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Red Hat Product Errata RHBA-2013:1634 normal SHIPPED_LIVE libqb bug fix and enhancement update 2013-11-20 21:53:46 UTC

Description David Vossel 2012-12-20 18:00:20 UTC
Description of problem:

Blackbox output will not contain logging information if logging format specifies string len/precision.

For example.

If we use the format log("test [%.10s] - [%s]", "some_text", some_more_text"), every argument including and after the "%.10s" will be empty.

So the output would be "test [] - []" when we would expect "test [some_text] - [some_more_text]

This affects the usefulness of blackbox output for debugging purposes.  This specifically affects Pacemaker's use of blackbox.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
0.14.2-3

How reproducible:
Always.

Comment 4 David Vossel 2013-01-03 20:41:12 UTC
I've tested the upstream patches, and it appears that they resolve the use-case in the description. However, while testing the patches I ran across another very similar situation where blackbox output is being truncated.

In my pacemaker log file I have the following msg.

Jan 03 20:01:49 [32253] 18builder pacemakerd:    debug: update_node_processes: 	Node 18builder now has process list: 00000000000000000000000000000002 (was 00000000000000000000000000000000)

but, in the blackbox output the same message is truncated to look like this.

debug   Jan 03 20:01:49 update_node_processes(620):0: Node 18builder now has process list: 00000000000000000000000000000

This situation needs to be resolved as well.

-- Vossel

Comment 5 Angus Salkeld 2013-01-09 09:35:43 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> I've tested the upstream patches, and it appears that they resolve the
> use-case in the description. However, while testing the patches I ran across
> another very similar situation where blackbox output is being truncated.
> 
> In my pacemaker log file I have the following msg.
> 
> Jan 03 20:01:49 [32253] 18builder pacemakerd:    debug:
> update_node_processes: 	Node 18builder now has process list:
> 00000000000000000000000000000002 (was 00000000000000000000000000000000)
> 
> but, in the blackbox output the same message is truncated to look like this.
> 
> debug   Jan 03 20:01:49 update_node_processes(620):0: Node 18builder now has
> process list: 00000000000000000000000000000
> 
> This situation needs to be resolved as well.
> 
> -- Vossel

this is the upstream patch to fix this issue: https://github.com/asalkeld/libqb/commit/739faa54fea57152d61e4c70bda3349982bac627

Comment 15 errata-xmlrpc 2013-11-21 11:52:48 UTC
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2013-1634.html


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.