Bug 89081 - Greek TrueType fonts for Mozilla are displayed incorrectly
Summary: Greek TrueType fonts for Mozilla are displayed incorrectly
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: mozilla
Version: 9
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Christopher Blizzard
QA Contact: Ben Levenson
URL: http://www.df.lth.se/~triad/moztest.html
Depends On:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
Reported: 2003-04-17 11:45 UTC by Linus Walleij
Modified: 2007-04-18 16:53 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2004-02-13 17:13:00 UTC

Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Linus Walleij 2003-04-17 11:45:36 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030225

Description of problem:
Look at the web page in the URL. The TrueType fonts used by Mozilla seem to be
missing a number of greek characters, notably Rho, and several accented
variants. This could also be caused by bad rendering of existing fonts of course...

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open mozilla
2. Surf to the URL
3. See words with missing characters

Actual Results:  "Paranoia" and "Gnosis" are missing characters.

Expected Results:  The words should have rendered correctly.

Additional info:

Comment 1 Linus Walleij 2003-04-20 21:52:40 UTC
Looking closer at this, I see that this error may be due to the fact that I use
very odd greek unicode characters, such as omega with a tilde above it. This may
actually be a rendering bug, that occurs mostly because of mixing low-res and
TTF fonts. It still should not happen though.

Comment 2 Javier Gostling D. 2003-05-06 20:59:48 UTC
This issue is not restricted to greek. I have a Latinamerican keyboard and I'm
experiencing the same problem when I type accented vowels. I tried to setup
mozilla to use Unicode UTF-8 everywhere I found it in Preferences, but that
didn't help at all.

For reference, the contents of my /etc/sysconfig/i18n are

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n

Comment 3 Javier Gostling D. 2003-05-06 22:20:23 UTC
I just tried removing the UTF-8 enconding from /etc/sysconfig/i18n and after
that (and restarting my X session) Mozilla would allow me to type accented
vowels normally. Unfortunately, there are some issues (mainly interoperating
with other systems which are setup for UTF-8) which forced me to reset
/etc/sysconfig/i18n to UTF-8.

A workaround this issue is to start Mozilla from the command line with a line
like the following:

$ LANG=en_US mozilla
Put your language here

This will also make Mozilla behave with regards to accents. From this
diagnostics, I think this is a Mozilla issue rather than a Redhat issue, but I
will leave that to the Redhat experts.

Comment 4 Linus Walleij 2003-05-07 05:02:36 UTC
If *typing* characters is your problem, that is probably unrelated to this issue
which is mostly about *displaying* certain characters.

(UTF-8 in i18n is the cause of several other problems as well, such as accessing
old filesystems based on ISO 8859-1 which is what is used for en_US, but that is
not the issue here.)

Comment 5 Christopher Blizzard 2003-06-02 14:35:00 UTC
It's hard to say.  The default encoding can affect how some web pages are
rendered because it's going to choose a different font based on what your
setting is.

Comment 6 Linus Walleij 2004-02-13 17:13:00 UTC
This works for me in Fedora Core 2 test 1 w/Mozilla 1.6. Let's close it!

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.