I started an up2date on a system which has not been updated in roughly two weeks
(ie, ~10 errata needed) this morning. The GUI hung while downloading the samba
errata, and displayed the following traceback in the xterm from which I'd run it:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/gui.py", line 1611, in doRetrieval
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2date.py", line 269, in getPackage
buffer = rpcServer.doCall(rpmSource.psc.packageSource.getPackage, pkg,
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpcServer.py", line 114, in doCall
ret = apply(method, args, kwargs)
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpmSource.py", line 212, in getPackage
package = source.getPackage(pkg, MsgCallback, progressCallback)
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpmSource.py", line 697, in getPackage
buffer = fd.read()
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhn/transports.py", line 672, in read
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhn/transports.py", line 437, in
chunk = fd.read(l)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/httplib.py", line 393, in read
s = self.fp.read(amt)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhn/SSL.py", line 161, in read
data = self._connection.recv(self._buffer_size)
SSL.Error: [('SSL routines', 'SSL3_GET_RECORD', 'decryption failed or bad record
This was during the file transfer; it displayed 2528 of 3074 kb transferred of
There are at least two problems here. One is that it hung in the first place.
The second is the error handling (or lack thereof) it had after it hung. The GUI
has been stalled at that point ever since, with no timeout or error displayed on
the screen. If I hadn't launched it from an xterm, I would have gotten no error
message at all, other than it bizarrely stalling 3/4 of the way through the
I've got another stalled download from my current up2date. tcpdump shows no
traffic going back or forth, and the display is hung at:
kernel-source-2.4.20-13.9.i ###################### 43 k/sec, 00:01:52 rem.
and has been for minutes now....
> If I hadn't launched it from an xterm, I would
> have gotten no error message at all, other than
> it bizarrely stalling 3/4 of the way through the
Actually, if you leave it running long enough, it will print an error
message in a yes/no dialog box that 1) states that the package's key
is invalid, meaning that the package is likely corrupt, and 2) asking
you whether you wish to continue installation.
Choosing "no" will close up2date without updating any packages, and
this in turn causes you to have to go through the process of
reselecting the same packages and trying to download them again.
Luckily, the completed downloads are still in var/spool.
Note that this is for the GUI version - I don't know what the CLI does
when the download finally times out.
For the time being, I just download updated packages in batches of
three or four at a time. It would be nice if up2date had a saner
timeout duration and a prompt to try redownloading the whole package
again instead of just quitting.
Maybe rhnlib bug
Haven't seen this in a while, closing.