Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 90457
Manual instructions wrong for installing via HTTP
Last modified: 2014-08-04 18:23:43 EDT
Description of problem:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Hard coded in manual.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Follow para 3.7.1 to set up an http installation server
2. Follow para 3.10 to install via HTTP
3. Have not seen "Installation Method" dialog
4. Created a boot CD (para 1.4.2): kernel panic, unable to mount root fs on
48:05 (one hard drive, /dev/hda, one CD, /dev/hdc).
5. Created boot and driver floppies, FINALLY given an Installation Method dialog
Para 3.10 should state that one needs to boot from a floppy to install via HTTP.
If one can boot from CD and install via HTTP please tell me how!
If you are booting with the boot.iso image that is available with Red Hat Linux
9, then you will get the installation method screen. If you boot using disc1
from Red Hat Linux 9, then you will not get the the installation screen unless
you boot with 'linux askmethod'.
The 'askmethod' boot command is documented in the Install Guide -- Appendix H
Additional Boot options.
I'll make a note to add this boot command to the network installation section,
to make it clearer for future versions of the Installation Guide.
Thanks for the feedback.