I have tried very hard to resolve this bug on my own, and have checked this
DB extensively. I have also downloaded the initscripts RPM to make sure it
had not been fixed.
I run RedHat6.1 on a non-networked machine. The machine is unnamed: simply
localhost.localdomain. When I dial out (through kppp), it seems like
localhost gets overriden.
The following is an excerpt of an e-mail conversation I had about this with
someone from Debian. The person offered comments which, although a tad
cynical, might be accurate for all I know... :-) So here it is.
> I almost always use X. Well, eventually, after 5 minutes or one day, I
> can no longer start new apps. I get an error. (Luckily, it is happening
> now, and I am not even kidding, so here is a transcript of terminal
Let me guess, you're on a modem? And you do somehing like bring up ppp and
> "AUDIT: [date]: 1515 X: client X rejected from local host AUTH name:
> MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1: ID: -1"
> And trying to start an app from a terminal yields the following results:
> "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: Client is not
> authorized to connect to Server kedit: cannot connect to X server :0"
> I read the man pages on security and such. I put "ALL" in
> /etc/hosts.allow. I tried erasing the .Xauthority file to see if it
> wasn't corrupt or anything. Nothing works. I keep having those problems.
For reasons known only to Redhat, if your machine is named
'localhost.localdomain', it will rename it whenever you start/stop a
network interface, even if it is dynamic PPP.
This screws up the xauthority mechanism (one portion of the key is the
host, but the name changed under it).
I hope you can tell me what is wrong and how I can correct it. My system is
seriously hampered by this. Thanks.
This should be fixed in initscripts-4.88 or higher, which will be
in the next Raw Hide release.