Description of problem:
After having resumed my laptop after a suspend, the system reboots when
inserting an USB mouse or an USB hub (with USB mouse attached).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
I would say, at least 60-70% of the time (could be higher, 2.4.20-13.9 not
running long enough for my figures to be statistically relevant).
Steps to Reproduce:
1. suspend laptop, remove USB device (mouse or hub)
2. resume laptop, make sure system works OK by entering some keysotrokes
3. attach USB device
System warm reboots
System should continue to run
- IBM ThinkPad A30p, running RHL 7.3, 8.0 and 9.0 with 2.4.20-9 (almost) flawlessly
- Occurs when resuming under X (4.3.0-2), didn't try yet with console only
- with both of my USB ports
- since 2.4.20-13.9 (pity, because it fixes bug #86180, BAP with wireless
orinoco for me)
- no messages in /var/log/messages
I don't have the slightest idea how to trace this. Would it prove beneficial for
extra bug information if I recompiled 2.4.20-13.9 from src.rpm without the USB
patch (bug #89743) ? How ?
Is there a kernel-debuginfo ?
Created attachment 91716 [details]
As for the moment I'm only experiencing this bug when resuming in X, I've
mentioned this bug in bug #90997 (XFree86 : "Keyboard lost after upgrading to
Please note that I turned xscreensaver off, as to exclude any correlation with
possible OpenGL bugs (xscreensaver kicks in when resuming from a suspend).
As this crash only occurs after hotplugging an USB device after resume (before
hotplugging, I can enter keystrokes), I do not initially suspect apmd.
Putting right foot in mouth (I'm rapidly running out of feet) :
I just experienced the reboot without plugging in an USB mouse, about one minute
after resuming from suspend, so the erroneous behaviour has probably nothing to
do with USB hotplugging.
In attachment :
1. output from lspci -tv and lspci -vv
2. /var/log/messages output from :
- kernel 2.4.20-13.9 suspend (17:34), resume (20:10) and crash/reboot (20:12)
- kernel 2.4.20-9 suspend (20:24:06) and resume (20:24:30)
Notes about cruft /var/log/messages :
* floppy messages : this laptop has a removable floppy drive, which is absent
* /dev/sda1 refers to an absent IEEE-1394 harddisk based partition
* hermes is the driver for a mini-PCI based Orinoco/PrismII wireless card (this
bug #86180 is - oh irony - fixed in 2.4.20-13.9.
Created attachment 91740 [details]
Created attachment 91741 [details]
suspend/resume/reboot with 2.4.20-13.9
Created attachment 91742 [details]
suspend/resume with 2.4.20-9
As I'm experiencing some strange anomalies wrt suspends/reboots with 2.4.20-9
now too, I'm having my machine serviced.
Huh ? Seems like someone closed this bug without me receiving an e-mail alert ?
However, after my notebook system board got replaced last week, I performed
several suspend/resume cycles, with the problem reoccuring.
I suppose the problem was related to hardware degradation.
CLOSED -> NOTABUG ?
Didier, the activity log shows that you closed it yourself (by mistake?).
Yes, I noticed that too.
Although I'm quite positive I did not touch the bug status, I just noticed I
wrote in comment #8, "with the problem reoccuring", which should actually read
"with*out* the problem reoccuring. *blush*
My sincere apologies for wasting your valuable time.
Changing to resolved, NOTABUG.