I noticed that Netscape seemed to be crashing on pages with Java applets.
I seem to remember this being an issue awhile back, and the solution was to
make sure /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi (without the :unscaled) was in the
font path. I checked my font path now, and sure enough, that entry wasn't
in the list, just the unscaled version. I tried to add it myself by
/usr/sbin/chkfontpath --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
but it said:
chkfontpath: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi already in list
This seems like a bug in chkfontpath to me; if, on the other hand, having
the font directory without the :unscaled should no longer be necessary,
then the problem must be somewhere else (perhaps in xfs).
this was due to a bad default xfs config file. modified in latest XFree86
3.3.6-15 to work well with new chkfontpath.