Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 9423
java applet font problem not fixed using chkfontpath --add
Last modified: 2014-03-16 22:12:32 EDT
Java applet text is still mangled when applets are run from netscape 4.6.1
that was installed with redhat 6.1. Applet text is completely unreadable.
I followed the instructions given on the errata page (adding the scalable
75 point font using chkfontpath --add) but that did not remedy the
situation. Even though the chkfontpath man page says that it restarts xfs
I restarted it manually via /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart and that didn't
I'm not sitting at the machine right now, but if you need additional
information please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oh, one other thing that was weird about netscape is having to set the
CLASSPATH. I don't recall having to do that in previous installations of
netscape on linux. Is that something new?
You shouldn't be setting CLASSPATH; it should just
(more or less) work. Can you give an example of
the corruption you're seeing?
What I was asking for was an example applet that caused the
font corruption, so we could try and duplicate it here.
Then again, if it's a netscape problem, the chances of
getting it fixed aren't very good.
Hmm... works OK for me. What's the output of chkfontpath --list?
Put X11/fonts/75dpi as the fourth entry in /etc/X11/fs/config
(i.e., after the three :unscaled entries.); does that solve the
To change the ordering, it's probably easiest
to edit /etc/X11/fs/config directly, and
then do '/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart'.
This shoud be fixed once the font path is moved; please re-open
if it isn't.
Hi. I have followed all the instructions concerning about fonts.
I tried to make the changes in Netscape versions 4.61 - 4.72, none of them were
If you want to try a "crash site", go to:
http://www.turmadamonica.com.br/index.htm (wait 2 or 3 minutes and see what
Works OK for me. Are you sure it's not a problem with the flash
support (I'm not running that...)
I made the tests in 2 different computers. One of them have a multimedia system
and another one doesn't.
On the first computer I have installed many plugins, including flash but, on the
second one, I have installed nothing.
In both cases that site crashes! I have installed the rpm package from RedHat
_and_ the tar.gz packet from Netscape (of course, when I installed one, I
uninstalled the other) from the various Netscape versions. None of them were
successful. It's really weird what is going on with Netscape.
Anyway, thank you for your cooperation ;)