Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 945
Netscape vs. Acrobat reader
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:49 EDT
The current netscape that came with 5.2 works fine.
So does the latest (october 98) acrobat reader from
However, when acrobat is hooked into netscape as a helper,
it falls over (Signal 11, corefile) on exactly the same
files it works fine on otherwise. (I hacked the wrapper
script to log debug info: it's really a signal 11
(exit 139) at the point where it exec's the "real" viewer,
and changing it to remove the exec operator had no effect.)
I believe I have plenty of swap space (I can run Netscape
and acrobat at the same time, just not from within
I plugged in xpdf instead, but Acrobat is somewhat more
readable, so I'd rather use it.
Also... it won't work at all as a plugin (the "plugin"
.so (forget the name at the moment) doesn't find
an older libc.so that doesn't come by default on 5.2),
and for the very iffy chance that it might work as
a plugin, I gave up.
I couldn't find any web entries on workarounds to this
problem. (If the bug really is in Acrobat, I realize
it isn't yours to fix.)
netscape-4.08-5 has a fix for the acroread problem. As for
the plugin, running a libc5 plugin on glibc2 netscape won't