Description of problem:
If I have multiple providers with their unique products/repos and create and publish a content view that has only one of these products, when I add said content view to a new activationkey I expect that only the product added to the content view should be available to me in the Available Subscriptions tab. Currently, all products are listed as available for selection which to me is counter intuitive. I'd argue that only the one product that was added to the content view should be visible. If I removed the content view, then all available products can be displayed for selection.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Fixed 961024 - Limit available subscriptions for activationkeys by content view
commit merged: c6be614
This bug was completed and should be available for QA. Going to move to ON_QA.
Moving this to be tested during MDP3, not critical for MDP2 success story
This issue still persists
Tested with Sat6-Beta-Snap2,
1) Had multiple products with repos synced
2) Created a CV and added a repo
3) Published the CV version1
4) Promoted to Dev and then to Test
5) Moved to AK page and created a new ak with Test as env and CV as created in 2)
6) Moved to subscriptions, where all the products are still visible.
7) In CV we add repos and then publish/promote
8) But not sure why we see the entire products under AK's subscription page.
9) Wondering what happens when we have multiple repos under the product and only selected few are added to CV and published/promoted.
10) Will the systems/clients get access to all the repos under the product?
I do see products listed that do not exist in the environment selected in the activation key so this is definitely failing.
One thing to note thou is that you subscribe to products not repos. The set of repos available to the client is determined by the ENV+CV you have selected for the AK (or via the registration process for the content host).
So if you only have 1 repo from a product in a CV in an env the system will only get access to that 1 repo. They still need to consume a subscription from that product.
Created redmine issue http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/7095 from this bug
This is an RFE, not a bug. While it will be very useful to filter out subscriptions to those that match the content in the content view, there are some Red Hat subscription types that need to still be available.
1) Some subs have _no_ content at all but instead enable other subs.
2) Sometimes it is useful to assign a sub to a hypervisor, for example, so that "bonus" subs are created which in turn may be applied to guest hosts. These hypervisors don't actually consume content and thus may be in environments w/o any.
I'd suggest some design around this feature request:
UI - Perhaps add a filter element to the subs table to switch between all or content view limited.
CLI - Perhaps arguments to reflect same filter as UI.
Could be implemented as search?
Note that there is a related concept when assigning subs to content hosts as well and same design should be applied there as well.
Closing based on upstream discussions at https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/4584. If you believe this was done in error, please re-open with your reasoning. Thanks!