Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 966960
CDT C/C++ indexer not working after updates
Last modified: 2013-09-06 01:24:22 EDT
Created attachment 752565 [details]
exception when accessing C/C++ Indexer Preferences page
Description of problem:
Exception is thrown when trying to access Indexer preferences.
Indexer does not rebuild the index when it is being invoked explicitly via the menu or when it is being invoked implicitly after a successful build.
The C++ indexer was working perfectly when I first got F19 TC2 installed on my bare metal. I have eclipse-cdt installed via "Fedora Eclipse" group. I could compile my C++ project without any problem. The indexer ran and so other tools that depend on it like code-analysis (codan) and navigation via symbols functioned as expected.
However, one of the recent Eclipse package updates has broken the C++ indexer. Currently the indexer in my system cannot rebuild the index anymore. I have tried to downgrade the updated eclipse packages based on my yum.log, but doing so would result in Eclipse not able to launch at all. So, I have updated them back to the latest version again with the indexer problem still persists.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Launch Eclipse, open Window/Preferences, select C/C++ Indexer.
2. Open C/C++ Perspective. Open a C/C++ project. Select Project/Build All.
1. Indexer preference page could not be displayed. An error message box appears.
Title: Could Not Accept Changes
Message: The currently displayed page contains invalid values.
The exception log entries is attached.
2. The indexer could not rebuild the index as part of the build process.
1. C/C++ Indexer preferences page should be displayed without error.
2. The indexer rebuild the index as part of the build or when being invoked explicitly.
It was working initially (F19 TC2 netinstall on 5/5/2013)
Fortunately, Eclipse also supports project-level preference settings. In the Project Properties, I am able to enable the project specific settings for indexer without getting any exception. Perform a clean build and I can confirm the index is being rebuilt correctly.
This appears to have been fixed in the latest upstream CDT (Kepler RC2) as I was able to reproduce the problem locally but not in the latest EPP released today. I have updated CDT to Kepler RC2 in eclipse-cdt-8.2.0-0.7.rc2.fc19 which should be shortly in updates-testing for f19. Please give it a try.
The updated packages have reached the mirror this morning and they are now installed in my system.
$ rpm -qa |grep eclipse-cdt
However, the problem somehow still persists with the same exception thrown when the indexer preference page is being accessed. I have tested it with a new user account (no ~/.eclipse and no ~/workspace folders before the test).
I have constantly updating all the relevant Eclipse packages in my F19 system. The reported problem still persists till today.
(In reply to Yao Wei Tjong from comment #4)
> I have constantly updating all the relevant Eclipse packages in my F19
> system. The reported problem still persists till today.
Confirmed. The IndexerPreferencePage is being used for both Project and Workspace preferences and is assuming a project is set which is not true. I can not explain how this worked before unless the ProjectScope was not throwing the exception in the base Eclipse I had.
Let me try and untangle this. The project settings show the Workspace settings before you switch to project.
I have submitted a patch for f19 and rawhide and started new builds.
eclipse-cdt-8.2.0-2.fc19 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 19.
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 19 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing eclipse-cdt-8.2.0-2.fc19'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
I have tested the new software package in the testing repo and it works for me. Thanks you! I have given my feedback as requested.
eclipse-cdt-8.2.0-2.fc19 has been pushed to the Fedora 19 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.