Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 971329
[RFE] RHEV-M should manage its own backups
Last modified: 2014-09-07 18:55:57 EDT
1. Proposed title of this feature request
Automatic remote backup of RHEV-M
2. Who is the customer behind the request?
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
RHEV-M to be able to automatically backup itself (db/pki is enough maybe?) on remote storage, to ease disaster recovery.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
Easier and more reliable backup plan
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
Maybe using logcollector to compress the db and ssh to store it would be enough?
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
daniele, have you looked at bug 960280?
Oh... actually no, I had missed it.
I guess we can close this one as a dup if we also consider GUI integration for what mentioned in 960280
(In reply to Daniele from comment #2)
> Oh... actually no, I had missed it.
> I guess we can close this one as a dup if we also consider GUI integration
> for what mentioned in 960280
I suggested this RFE to Dan after a customer lost their RHEV-M system without any backups being taken for 2 months. My suggestion was to automatically backup RHEV-M to remote storage within the RHEV environment, be it a storage domain or somewhere on the hypervisors. AFAICT BZ#960280 does not include this at present but if we add this to the RFE I'd be happy to close this out as a duplicate.
Customers should treat RHEV-M as a critical system in their environment and should protect and back it up using standard backup processes. This is not a function of RHEV-M.