I own a PC with a Celeron 333 on an Acorp 6VIA86 MB, 64 MB RAM, Quantum
Fireball(?) 6.4 GB HDD, S3Savage4a VGA, Genius SoundMaker and a Canon BJC-
When I installed RedHat 6.0 the instalation program recognized the printer
on lp0 and the printer worked out fine. Now, with the 6.1. version, the
printtool program doesn't see it on any of the ports.
The thing I did was to upgrade the 6.0 version to 6.1. instead of a clean
install, but I am not satisfied with this solution for other reasons.
Exact same problem here except bought new version and installed
fresh. Printer worked fine for 6.0 but 6.1, the printer is
not seen under printtool.
The modules that are autoloading are: parport, parport_probe, lp.
1. Tried sending document straight to /dev/lp0 but got error message that no
2. Tested all the methods in the Print-HOWTO guide but didn't help.
3. Recompiled a custom kernel to make sure that parport devices are included.
4. Checked /proc/parport but nothing in directory.
5. Booted into MS Windows and the printer works fine.
6. Checked continuity of all wires in printer cable and they are fine.
7. Pulled all non-essential cards out of PC slots (no help)
8. /proc/interrupts shows interrupt 7 as being clear.
Computer here is AMD-200/MMX, 80 Meg RAM, RedHat 6.1, Voodoo Banshee 16 Meg,
SB_AVE (ISA), 28.8K Modem (ISA), Cannon BJC-2000.
You need 'alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc' in /etc/conf.modules.