Bug 97872 - uname -p reports "unknown" on ia64 systems w/ AS 2.1
uname -p reports "unknown" on ia64 systems w/ AS 2.1
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
Classification: Red Hat
Component: sh-utils (Show other bugs)
2.1
ia64 Linux
medium Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Tim Waugh
Ben Levenson
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2003-06-23 11:48 EDT by Erik Jacobson
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:06 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-06-23 12:04:40 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Erik Jacobson 2003-06-23 11:48:00 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.79C-SGI [en] (X11; I; IRIX 6.5 IP32)

Description of problem:
This bug is similar to a very old bug - #31485
However, I noticed in RedHat 9 systems that are ia32 based, uname -p will
report things like 'i686' instead of 'unknown'.

On Itanium1 and Itanium2 systems I've used (including SGI 750, HP RX2600, and
SGI's Altix product), uname -p reports unknown with AS 2.1.

This isn't a huge deal but  we ran across this and I thought I'd file a bug on
it.



Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
sh-utils-2.0.11-5

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Log in to AS 2.1 ia64 system
2. run 'uname -p'
3.
    

Actual Results:  It reports 'unknown'

Expected Results:  Something like 'itanium1' or similar.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Tim Waugh 2003-06-23 12:04:40 EDT
Yes.  sh-utils became coreutils, and that displays 'ia64' from uname -p.  So
it's 'fixed' (in as much as, you get the output you expect) in a newer version.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.