The following has be reported by IBM LTC:
[Alpha] RedHat EL 3 Alpha 3 coexisting with other Linux
Please fill in each of the sections below.
Installing RHEL 3 Alpha 3 on a machine with other Linux installed
Steps to Reproduce:
When selecting the default install methods installing RHEL 3 several problems
arise if there is another version of linux already installed:
1) The install routine recognizes all partitions on all disks (even though the
target install disk has been selected, and the disk containing the "other"
linux has been de-selected). The install routine formats the swap space of
the "other" linux installation and uses that swap partition for itself. An
instance of an OS should not be stepping on another installed OS.
2) Boot loaders. Attempting to force the RHEL install to set the boot
partition on the target install doesn't appear to work. I can't pin this one
down, but it appears that if the install routine detects the presence of
another boot loader , then it ignores the flag to install GRUB
A few notes:
1) We do not support multiple Linux installations on the same machine on any
architecture. Also, there is no support for multiple OS installation on arches
other than x86
2) Some of the boot partition handling has been improved since A4 that will help
3) GRUB is completely irrelevant on ppc, where are you specifying grub things?
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 91370 ***
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.