Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 984977
[User Portal] RDP Auto behaves differently then SPICE Auto, RDP Auto installs ActiveX
Last modified: 2013-09-06 04:45:44 EDT
Created attachment 774264 [details]
Description of problem:
SPICE Auto console type does not install plugin, but it does check for its existence and if present it uses it.
RDP Auto console type does install ActiveX if not present and uses it.
This is inconsistent behavior.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. have clean IE 9 Windows 7 64bit with recommended settings
2. open User Portal with Windows 8 64bit (or try some other windows for RDP?)
3. console type should be Remote Desktop, mode 'Auto'
4. double click on VM icon to open console
1. IE popup with:
Message from webpage
Error: Access denied.
2. in the botton of the IE there's 'This webpage want to run the following add-on: Remote Desktop Services ActiveX Client from Microsoft Cor...' [Allow]
just check for plugin and use it if installed, just like SPICE Auto does
This appears to have been assigned to the documentation by mistake. Reassigning to spice-activex-win. Please feel free to move it elsewhere if that's not where it belongs.
This is not a spice-active-x bug. Reassigning to user-portal.
there is a catch in detecting presence of rdp activex addon. I tested it and the detection mechanism (for RDP) always returns true (even on clean ie). My suspicion is that rdp addon is pre-installed on windows. So for rdp it's not about "installing" the addon but more about "embedding" it (which also invokes the well-known security popup) and the behavior of "auto" is correct.
Of course, I can add the detection mechanism for RDP but it would only result in one more security popup and would make little sense.