Bug 985887 - Thumbnail OneDrive entries once they are loaded
Thumbnail OneDrive entries once they are loaded
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
Classification: Red Hat
Component: gnome-documents (Show other bugs)
7.0
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity medium
: alpha
: 7.1
Assigned To: Debarshi Ray
Desktop QE
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-07-18 08:41 EDT by Martin Simon
Modified: 2017-08-01 06:01 EDT (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: gnome-documents-3.22.2-1.el7
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2017-08-01 06:01:37 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
ms_docs (104.33 KB, image/png)
2017-04-21 08:47 EDT, Martin Krajnak
no flags Details


External Trackers
Tracker ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
GNOME Desktop 698315 None None None Never

  None (edit)
Description Martin Simon 2013-07-18 08:41:59 EDT
Description of problem:
Google nor SkyDrive documents does not have thumbnails of actual content, only according to the file type

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
gnome-documents-3.8.3.1-1.el7.x86_64

How reproducible:
100%

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Have some Google or SkyDrive documents visible in Gnome Documents
2.
3.

Actual results:
thumbnails according to file types

Expected results:
thumbnails according to actual contents

Additional info:
Comment 1 Debarshi Ray 2013-10-21 12:44:19 EDT
Am I right in guessing that you don't have any local documents (~/Documents), and you only have Google or SkyDrive ones?
Comment 2 Debarshi Ray 2013-10-23 06:57:11 EDT
Unlike Google, the SkyDrive API [1] only offers server side thumbnails for photos and videos. See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/hh826522.aspx#reading_photos_videos_props

The SkyDrive Web UI does show thumbnails for some Microsoft Office formatted documents (eg., .doc, .docx), but I could not find a way to download those from their REST API.

We could create the thumbnails locally for those documents that the user has downloaded for viewing from the local cache, but that would be a more intrusive change. I am not very comfortable about pushing such a thing into RHEL7 now.
Comment 3 Debarshi Ray 2013-10-30 06:08:47 EDT
I have now built gnome-documents-3.8.5-1.el7 which should fix this:
https://brewweb.devel.redhat.com/taskinfo?taskID=6484134
Comment 6 Martin 2014-01-30 07:53:22 EST
Using gnome-documents-3.8.5-3.el7.x86_64 thumbnails for Google Documents works, but for Microsoft SkyDrive doesn't.
Comment 7 Debarshi Ray 2014-02-04 07:33:33 EST
(In reply to Martin Holec from comment #6)
> Using gnome-documents-3.8.5-3.el7.x86_64 thumbnails for Google Documents
> works, but for Microsoft SkyDrive doesn't.

As mentioned in comment 2, there is no easy way to thumbnail SkyDrive content. I am not comfortable with such an intrusive change in RHEL7 at this point.
Comment 11 Michael Boisvert 2015-05-20 13:53:46 EDT
Issue still present on gnome-documents-3.14.3-2.el7.x86_64.rpm.
Comment 14 Debarshi Ray 2017-03-27 14:59:22 EDT
I have built gnome-documents-3.22.2-1.el7, and gnome-online-miners-3.22.0-2.el7:
https://brewweb.engineering.redhat.com/brew/taskinfo?taskID=12870003
https://brewweb.engineering.redhat.com/brew/buildinfo?buildID=546573
Comment 16 Martin Krajnak 2017-04-21 08:46:13 EDT
 (In reply to Debarshi Ray from comment #2)
> Unlike Google, the SkyDrive API [1] only offers server side thumbnails for
> photos and videos. See:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/hh826522.
> aspx#reading_photos_videos_props
> 
> The SkyDrive Web UI does show thumbnails for some Microsoft Office formatted
> documents (eg., .doc, .docx), but I could not find a way to download those
> from their REST API.
> 
> We could create the thumbnails locally for those documents that the user has
> downloaded for viewing from the local cache, but that would be a more
> intrusive change. I am not very comfortable about pushing such a thing into
> RHEL7 now.

I am looking now at version gnome-documents-3.22.2-2.el7.x86_64, 
and for me this is working for pdfs only. In case of Google documents other document format are being previewed too. So should it work only for pdfs for reasons described in your comment ?
Comment 17 Martin Krajnak 2017-04-21 08:47 EDT
Created attachment 1273318 [details]
ms_docs
Comment 18 Debarshi Ray 2017-04-24 09:22:08 EDT
(In reply to Martin Krajnak from comment #16)
> I am looking now at version gnome-documents-3.22.2-2.el7.x86_64, 
> and for me this is working for pdfs only. In case of Google documents other
> document format are being previewed too. So should it work only for pdfs for
> reasons described in your comment ?

Thanks for testing it out!

The problem is that for oneDrive we are generating the thumbnails on the client-side, just like any local file, and we don't have a thumbnailer for ODFs, OOXMLs, etc.. We only have a thumbnailer for formats like PDF, PS, etc..

For Google, we get thumbnails from the server. That's why it works for a wider range of MIME types.
Comment 19 Martin Krajnak 2017-06-14 09:40:12 EDT
The thumbnails ale working properly for pdf documents on x86_64, ppc64le and aarch64. Thumbnails for other document formats on One drive are no available because on reasons described by Debarshi in comment 16. 

I wasn't able to test s390x and ppc64 version because of issues with webkit on big endian architectures which prevent me from logging to one drive account.
Comment 20 errata-xmlrpc 2017-08-01 06:01:37 EDT
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2017:2312

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.