Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 987901
libreoffice does not create ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/backup -> saving fails when backup is requested
Last modified: 2013-10-08 07:43:42 EDT
Description of problem:
libreoffice does not create the backup directory for saving backup files of modified libreoffice documents. The backup directory is ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/backup by default (see menu Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice -> Paths -> Backups).
Other directories in ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/ are created, but "backup" is not created. I have a ~/.config/libreoffice/3/user/ directory from previous libreoffice versions, and my configuration (my changes) has been migrated to the 4.x version.
When a backup copy is requested by the user (menu Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> General -> Always create backup copy), saving of modified documents fails with the error message (DOCUMENTNAME is the name of the document to save):
Error saving the document DOCUMENTNAME:
Error creating object.
Could not create backup copy.
Creating the missing backup directory manually solves the problem.
I think libreoffice 4.x should either create the backup directory on the first creation of the user config directories (e.g. when it creates ~/.config/libreoffice/4/...), or create the missing directory on the first use for backup instead of creating an error message.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Fedora 19 with libreoffice-core.
2. Use an user account that does not already have a directory ~/.config/libreoffice/4/ .
3. Start libreoffice as this user.
4. Go to the configuration (menu Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> General -> Always create backup copy) and request that backup copies of modified documents should be created.
5. Create a new document (for example, text document) in libreoffice,
and enter some text (doesn't matter what text).
6. Save this new document to some file.
7. Change something (some text) in the document.
8. Save this modified document.
Saving in step 8 fails - you get an error message like the one noted above.
Saving should be successful, no error message should occur.
fixed upstream as http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=libreoffice-4-1&id=4efffd86ee2d87e9d5a276d0525108fed0828d62
this should be in the next respin for 4.1.0 for f19