Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1014365
[Doc] Suggestions for improvement of section 6.5.5. Building Object Storage Service Ring Files
Last modified: 2014-01-07 00:56:47 EST
Title: Building Object Storage Service Ring Files
Describe the issue:
The example command line shown when adding a storage device to the ring can be misleading. It looks like this:
swift-ring-builder /etc/swift/account.builder add zX-127.0.0.1:6002/device_mountpoint partition_count
I have two suggestions:
1- While the text below specifies that you could change the IP (127.0.0.1) to a real IP, the example is still using the loopback address. This contradicts what is being set earlier in section "6.5.2. Configuring the Object Storage Service Storage Nodes", since we are setting bind_ip to the real IP.
2. The device_mountpoint description is confusing, at least to me (non-native speaker). It took me a long while until I discovered what I had to specify, and only after checking the upstream documentation. A commented example would be really handy.
Suggestions for improvement:
1. I'd suggest to change the loopback IP in the example to use the real IP.
2. I'd propose to add an example. Let's say the real IP of your node is 10.0.0.3, your zone number is 1, and your device is mounted at /srv/node/account. Then, the command line would look like:
swift-ring-builder /etc/swift/account.builder add z1-10.0.0.3:6002/account 100
* replaced loopback address (127.0.0.1) with replaceable "SERVICE_IP"
* clarified that SERVICE_IP should match the bind_ip value set during "Configuring the Object Storage Service Storage Nodes".
* split step 2 into step 2+3; in previous versions, step 2 used to be split up into 3 substeps that featured the same command with minor tweaks.
* other minor improvements throughout.
orig is here: