Bug 102522 - update of already installed package
update of already installed package
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: up2date (Show other bugs)
3.0
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Bret McMillan
Fanny Augustin
:
: 103156 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2003-08-16 10:12 EDT by Michael Redinger
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:06 EST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-10-19 15:35:28 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
up2date -u output (824 bytes, text/plain)
2005-01-07 14:24 EST, Erik Nugent
no flags Details
i386 up2date -u output (7.00 KB, text/plain)
2006-01-26 18:39 EST, Sam Daniels
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Michael Redinger 2003-08-16 10:12:30 EDT
I somehow managed to somehow screw up2date (only using up2date for updates,
really ... :).

Under "Available Package Updates" I see the following:

Package Name:  Version:   Old Version:    Arch:   Size:
bash           2.05b-26   2.05b-26        i386    1492 kB

So, up2date tries to upgrade to the version that is already installed.
This of course fails, up2date reports an error (bash already installed) when
doing the tests.

I tried running up2date -p, this does not help. Running rpm -q bash says that
there is no other version of bash but this one installed.

I also tried to remove and recreate /var/spool/up2date/, the problem persists.

This is Taroon with all updates applied (except for this one ;), the up2date
version is 3.1.46-1.
Comment 1 Michael Redinger 2003-08-16 10:15:01 EDT
I should add that I have additional RPMs (for example all the "missing" *-devel
packages) installed. This should not matter, just thought I should mention it ...
Comment 2 Michael Redinger 2003-08-30 06:48:23 EDT
*** Bug 103156 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Michael Redinger 2003-09-01 06:09:15 EDT
On the same machine (bash is still listed in up2date ...), updated to Beta 2
(up2date-3.9.12-1), I now have the same problem with redhat-config-securitylevel
(1.2.4-1).
Comment 4 Erik Nugent 2005-01-07 14:24:34 EST
Created attachment 109491 [details]
up2date -u output
Comment 5 Suzanne Hillman 2005-10-13 14:21:31 EDT
Another person who had problems similar to this determined that somehow multiple
versions of the same rpm were installed, causing this problem. Can you check if
there are multiple via rpm -q on the package name?

If there are multiple, and you are not on a system with multilib (ie, x86_64 can
have both x86_64 and i386 packages), it's possible that at some point an update
or install of rpms didn't finish, so they were both left there.

Because it's possible the newer one didn't actually finish installing (based on
the likely reason that the two versions are there), I'd remove that one, and try
the update again.
Comment 6 Sam Daniels 2006-01-26 18:37:05 EST
I am having a similar problem when attempting to up2date a fresh install of
RHEL3/i386 update 6.  The conflict happens with the
openoffice.org-1.1.2-28.2.0.EL3 package.  That exact package is on the update 6
CD's, but up2date still tries to upgrade it, which fails.  I went through the
redhat-users and bugzilla archives and I saw that others have seen this problem
with an earlier update on x86_64, but my problem is happening with the vanilla
i386 update 6 release.  The solution presented in RHBA-2005:650 does not work
for me since the rpm presented there is identical to the one on the ISO's right
down to the md5's.  Here is some output:

[root@localhost root]# rpm -q openoffice.org
openoffice.org-1.1.2-28.2.0.EL3
[root@localhost root]# rpm -q --obsoletes openoffice.org-1.1.2-28.2.0.EL3
openoffice
openoffice.org-style-gnome
[root@localhost root]# rpm -q --qf "%{name}-%{version}-${release}.${arch}\n"
openoffice.org
openoffice.org-1.1.2-28.2.0.EL3.i386
[root@localhost root]# rpm -q rpm
rpm-4.2.3-24_nonptl
[root@localhost root]# rpm -q up2date
up2date-4.4.44-3

Steps to reproduce:
1) install RHEL3 ES update 6 using the "everything" selector from the ISO's on
rhn.redhat.com
2) after the install reboot, register the server, and run up2date -u

Please let me know if you need any more information to debug this problem. 
Thanks much.
Comment 7 Sam Daniels 2006-01-26 18:39:28 EST
Created attachment 123755 [details]
i386 up2date -u output
Comment 8 Phil Moses 2006-07-21 20:07:08 EDT
Is this still an open bug?

Trying to work out these as well as other up2date issues
Comment 9 RHEL Product and Program Management 2007-10-19 15:35:28 EDT
This bug is filed against RHEL 3, which is in maintenance phase.
During the maintenance phase, only security errata and select mission
critical bug fixes will be released for enterprise products. Since
this bug does not meet that criteria, it is now being closed.
 
For more information of the RHEL errata support policy, please visit:
http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/
 
If you feel this bug is indeed mission critical, please contact your
support representative. You may be asked to provide detailed
information on how this bug is affecting you.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.