From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.7 [en] (Win98; U)
Description of problem:
adjusting the time via a timezone change is not reflected in the
applet. Once an ntp server is given, the time is changed allright,
but when I travel and change timezones, only the applet is wrong.
Mostshells, and the system time is ok. But e.g. cron is wrong, and
still looks at the old time-zone. Everything is fine again after
I would restart X, but I don't want to loose my X session.
Obviously this is only important for laptop users.
Starting a new clock in the panel also fails with the old time.
I don't know if this is relevant, but i set my system clock to UTC.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. start redhat-config-time
2. change timezone
3. observe 'date' command is ok
4. observe the clock applet is still showing old time
it is surprisingly hard to figure out what component (rpm) the
clock applet comes from..... i tried 'top' and activacting it,
but nothing interesting showed up....
certainly the command "rpm -qa | grep -i clock" didn't return
I'm guessing libc caches the timezone information. I'm not sure whether there's
a way to force it to refresh.
Calling tzset () causes TZ env variable to be reevaluated and timezone file
I'd like to add that while playing with a mandrake 9.1 box i noticed
the changing the time will adjust the time in the Clock tool on
the panel. THeir version is also 184.108.40.206, but of course they look
different to the users, since mandrake and redhat do something else
below the hood. Obviously mandrake can do it right
(one little caveat, that machine runs the hardware clock in civil
time, not in GMT, like mine). I will experiment with that to make sure
that is not the difference. But thus far i'd say the redhat version
does have a problem. I confirmed that the version in Fedora RC1 also
exhibits the same problem as RH9. I don't recall the version of that
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 98140 ***
Wrong dup, sorry :-)
*** Bug 123614 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This is fixed in latest rawhide with glibc-2.3.3-60 or later