trace; ps reveals no trace of the browser.
This problem started some while ago. It continues even after replacing 4.61 with
4.72-6 components. All three parts from netscape for linux (glibc-2) are
installed. This is my second submission for this bug. The first bug report seems
to have magically disappeared.
in the preferences, not when you go to a
Only when visiting or on a page using java somehow. I can turn off java and
no crash. It crashes from URL buttons and sometimes from the middle of a load
sequence when a page is partly loaded. It may have a pattern but I can't
The updated versions came from one of the mirror archives listed on the redhat
ftp site, not from netscape.com. It was maybe msu.edu or umich.edu or maybe
unc.edu; I forget which but it was the one that had the redhat material and was
fast into u-mass-boston.
I find I can't set this navigator applications preferences to save a file with
.rpm suffix so I ftp to boston, use gzip on the package, download from Boston to
Buffalo, Wyoming, and then unzip and rpm the packages. All very tedious because
the damned thing wont save an rpm package to a file.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 2711 ***
The suggestion to run chkfontpath was tried a while ago.
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' is already present. Along with a large number of
other fonts probably added by acroread inatall. Experimenting with a known crash
cause of a crash. If the site is loaded and one clicks on any day in the past
archive calendar there is an immediate die of netscape communicator. This also
happens on certain quicken.com sites. There is also a nice little notice from
quicken telling me I cannot navigate through their site using a browser that is
I find the safest way to avoid netscape crashes is to set load images and unset
the rest, along with refusing all cookies. If I need cookies to buy something I
can set the limited accept and review each cookie. But that is small potatoes
compared to the unexpected an unpredictable crash of my browser!
The kernel is 2.2.14 int, glibc-2.1.3 int., gcc-2.95.2 crypt, netscape 128bit
4.7.2-6 from the redhat mirror.
Its the java problem. There is a notice on the suggy site proclaiming the
universality of the java problem on all current netscape browsers. Their site
state it openly. Its a netscape java bug. Not being a mozilla afficionado I
haven't the first clue where to start in that pile of mozilla source.