Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 119855
No templates in right-click desktop "Create document"
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:39 EST
1. Right-click Desktop, choose "Create Document"
2. No templates are installed.
"New Text document"
I'd like to add that the directory/folder "~/Templates" is not created
automatically for Gnome users either. If you do manually create that
Directory and add empty files to it, you can then create new documents
using the Right-click "Create Documents" menu choice. This missing
directory coupled with the lack of any documentation in the desktop
help, that I could find, makes it hard to figure out how to use this
facility. A quick query on google found me this page,
http://wlinux.ods.org/GNOME-2.6/ that shows how set things up.
Suggested "Create Document" menu items (and what they actually mean)
- Word Processor Document (OpenOffice.org Writer document)
- Spreadsheet (OO.org Calc Document)
- Presentation (OO.org Impress document)
- E-Mail (Evolution Compose Message)
- Technical Diagram (Dia Diagram)
- Web Page (OO.org Web or Mozilla Composer?)
The Templates directory is created automatically if you use the places
menu or go to menu to get there. Its also not meant to contain generic
templates that are just a specific type. They are meant to contain
user/company specific templates such as "TPS Report".
This has been discussed upstream lots of times, and will not change.
Of course, i totally agree that we need better docs on this.
*** Bug 127675 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***