Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 119917
Selection of LANG=en_US.UTF8 causes problems with xemacs
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:39 EST
Description of problem:
I installed FC2T2 and added a new user. By default, LANG is set as
en_US.UTF8 in the file /etc/sysconfig/i18n. With this setting, xemacs
behaves strangely, popping up text entry windows at inconvenient
points. The solution is to set LANG=en_US before starting xemacs.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: 100%
Steps to Reproduce:
1. export LANG=en_US.UTF-8; xemacs
2. try to select text with text commands (cntl-space ...). Surprise.
3. export LANG=en_US; xemacs
4. repeat 2. Everything is normal ...
Ideally, either xemacs would start up with the correct LANG setting.
Not sure what you mean by "popping up text entry windows"?
Is this an everything install? Are you running KDE or GNOME?
Does unsetting XMODIFIERS help when running xemacs in en_US.UTF-8.
Created attachment 99178 [details]
Screenshot of xemacs started with LANG=en_US.UTF-8
This attachment shows a screenshot taken when xemacs is started with
See the attachment for what I mean with popping up windows. I think it
is an entry mode for 2-byte characters of xemacs. This is an
everything install, and I am running GNOME.
I found that after the install many services are running. If I stop
IIim (sp?) the weird behavior with xemacs goes away. So, I need 3
necessary conditions to induce the behavior:
1. LANG set as en_US.UTF-8
2. "htt" (IIim) running
3. xemacs started WITHOUT LANG=en_US
It is possible that this "bug" is really a feature, but since I didn't
know what IIim does I didn't switch it off right away. I recommend to
only switch necessary services on after installation.
Thanks for the screenshot: yep that is caused by the htt input method
being activated for all locale by mistake if the htt server is
running in FC2 test2.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 119240 ***
I forgot to say that this is fixed in xinitrc-3.38 and later.
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.