Bug 1252748 - [Docs] [Beta] [Admin] The location of the allocation policy check box has changed slightly
[Docs] [Beta] [Admin] The location of the allocation policy check box has cha...
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
Classification: Red Hat
Component: Documentation (Show other bugs)
3.6.0
Unspecified Unspecified
medium Severity low
: ovirt-3.6.0-rc
: 3.6.0
Assigned To: Megan Lewis
Julie
docs
:
Depends On: 1130116
Blocks: 1269040
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-08-12 04:11 EDT by Andrew Dahms
Modified: 2016-02-10 13:57 EST (History)
12 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2015-11-25 06:02:49 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: Docs
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Andrew Dahms 2015-08-12 04:11:40 EDT
In RHEV 3.6, the 'allocation policy' option available when creating a new virtual disk has changed places so that it is now beneath the 'storage domain' option in the same screen. The procedure in the Admin Guide must be updated to change the order of the steps and any screen capture, if any.
Comment 1 Andrew Dahms 2015-08-18 07:45:42 EDT
Assigning to Megan for review.

Megan - this change should be found by clicking on the 'Disks' tab in the Administration Portal and creating a new virtual disk from there. We may need a host in the test environment to be able to access this menu.
Comment 6 Megan Lewis 2015-09-16 23:45:14 EDT
Hi Amit, 

In the Disks tab the first option has changed from Internal to Images. Was there a reason it was changed from Internal to Images? And related to that in the New Virtual Disk Window that first option is Image rather than Images. Just wondered which was correct to keep the naming consistent?

With the Cinder option is there any prerequisites for the option to available? I've added a table for Cinder in http://docbuilder.usersys.redhat.com/23128/#Understanding_virtual_disks Could you please take a look and let me know if any changes need to be made? Especially in the Volume Type row please.

And finally for the Cinder option are there any changes that need to be added to http://docbuilder.usersys.redhat.com/23128/#Understanding_virtual_disks ? 

Thanks, 
Megan
Comment 8 Daniel Erez 2015-09-17 05:04:07 EDT
(In reply to Megan Lewis from comment #6)
> Hi Amit, 
> 
> In the Disks tab the first option has changed from Internal to Images. Was
> there a reason it was changed from Internal to Images? And related to that

Yes, the reason was the vague distinction between Internal/External once Cinder disk have been introduced. Hence, it was decided to explicit mention the disk type to improve clarity.

> in the New Virtual Disk Window that first option is Image rather than
> Images. Just wondered which was correct to keep the naming consistent?

IIRC, the reasoning was just that the dialog deals with creating a single disk rather than multiple. We can amend it just to keep consistency..
@Yaniv - what do you think?

> 
> With the Cinder option is there any prerequisites for the option to
> available?

The radio-button is always visible and enabled, however, the form itself will be disabled in case creating a Cinder disk isn't applicable (e.g. there's no available Cinder storage domains - in such case the following message should be displayed: "There are no available OpenStack Volume storage domains that you have permissions to create a disk on in the relevant Data Center.").

I've added a table for Cinder in
> http://docbuilder.usersys.redhat.com/23128/#Understanding_virtual_disks
> Could you please take a look and let me know if any changes need to be made?
> Especially in the Volume Type row please.

Worth mentioning that volume types should be managed and configured on OpenStack Cinder (as explained on: http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide-admin/dashboard_manage_volumes.html).

> 
> And finally for the Cinder option are there any changes that need to be
> added to
> http://docbuilder.usersys.redhat.com/23128/#Understanding_virtual_disks ? 

Probably just mentioning that these terminologies [volume format (raw/qcow2), type (sparse/preallocated)] are not relevant for Cinder disk as they are handled internally on Cinder side (i.e. these properties aren't managed by oVirt engine for Cinder disks).

> 
> Thanks, 
> Megan
Comment 9 Daniel Erez 2015-09-17 06:33:08 EDT
(In reply to Megan Lewis from comment #6)

Another thing, worth adding a few REST-API examples as described in: http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Cinder_Integration
Comment 10 Megan Lewis 2015-09-18 01:39:25 EDT
Thanks for responding so quickly Daniel. :) 

I made a new bug for adding the examples to the REST API Guide for Cinder Integration as it's out of scope for this bug. New bug is https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1264275

Thanks, 
Megan
Comment 12 Yaniv Lavi 2015-09-24 12:03:40 EDT
(In reply to Daniel Erez from comment #8)
> 
> IIRC, the reasoning was just that the dialog deals with creating a single
> disk rather than multiple. We can amend it just to keep consistency..
> @Yaniv - what do you think?

Change it to what fits best with the flow. It's not critical either way.
Comment 14 Daniel Erez 2015-10-06 09:43:53 EDT
(In reply to Yaniv Dary from comment #12)
> (In reply to Daniel Erez from comment #8)
> > 
> > IIRC, the reasoning was just that the dialog deals with creating a single
> > disk rather than multiple. We can amend it just to keep consistency..
> > @Yaniv - what do you think?
> 
> Change it to what fits best with the flow. It's not critical either way.

OK, so we can keep it 'Image' in 'New/Edit disk' dialog to avoid confusion.
Comment 17 Andrew Dahms 2015-11-25 06:02:49 EST
This content is now live on the Customer Portal.

Closing.
Comment 18 Tahlia Richardson 2016-01-05 00:55:23 EST
*** Bug 1283074 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.