Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1270658
[DOCS] [7.2] [Feature] Document an Atomic CLI Reference
Last modified: 2015-11-19 09:10:52 EST
As a customer I want documentation providing a reference to the complete AH CLI features and commands. At the moment, there is no one guide that provides all the commands and features for the CLI that can be used.
This will be a brand new guide.
RHEL Atomic Host CLI Reference
Dan Walsh (for features)
This is targeted to be released with 7.2.
Hello Daniel, is this a good text to start with?
What are the most important features for 7.2?
Atomic mount and atomic scan are the most important features for 7.2
Brent do you have any write up on these features?
Hi, here is a draft of the document:
Since it's a reference document, I used the man pages extensively, but tried to add some more info wherever possible. For the finer details and options, I still referred to the man pages though. Any ideas of how to make it more useful are welcome. (I found the man pages pretty useful themselves)
1) where can people find the atomic manual pages? rpm-ostree is available with the rhel-tools container, but atomic isn't
2) can I have examples for atomic mount? what is the use case for it? Current text is same as the manual page
3) if the install label is not there, what does atomic install do?
P.S. Just found this blog post - http://rhelblog.redhat.com/2015/09/23/recent-updates-to-the-atomic-cli/ so I will expand the explanation of install with the expamples there.
Any sort of feedback is welcome.
1) I have filed https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1280031 to have atomic included into the rhel-tools image.
2) I believe the atomic mount was developed to allow users to inspect the contents of an image or container's filesystem. This could be handy to check anything from configuration files to accessing the rpmdb "inside" the docker object.
3) As of today, it dropped me into a sh prompt within the image/container namespace. I think this is a bug but will need Dan Walsh to confirm. IMHO, if no LABEL=INSTALL is present, then atomic install should fail gracefully with a message like "No run label found; no action taken"
@dwalsh, I wasn't helping with atomic code when install was implemented so your perspective here is key. If you prefer the alternative from above, I think that is a quick fix I can do and turn around quickly.
Brent, thanks for the feedback. I have edited atomic install and run and other minor things.
I like the example for /etc/rsyslog.conf but I saw it in the RUN label. Are there any similar examples handy?
about fetch-cve=True in /etc/oscapd.conf, does it take precedence over the command line?
New version available here:
Explained "atomic install" in more details.
In the meantime, "atomic migrate" was included
Brent, is the current text OK to be published as it is?
Vikram, given that Atomic CLI is changing realtime, shall we keep this BZ open and publish asynchronously?
The Reference Guide has been published:
Closing the Bug.