Bug 1275673 - Quick reconnection to VM ends up in "Connected to graphic server"
Quick reconnection to VM ends up in "Connected to graphic server"
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 1323092
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
Classification: Red Hat
Component: virt-viewer (Show other bugs)
7.2
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity unspecified
: rc
: 7.3
Assigned To: Eduardo Lima (Etrunko)
Virtualization Bugs
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-10-27 09:22 EDT by Andrei Stepanov
Modified: 2016-06-08 04:57 EDT (History)
10 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-06-08 04:57:02 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Andrei Stepanov 2015-10-27 09:22:47 EDT
Quick close/open connection to VM always finishes with black/inactive remote-viewer screen.

Guest is:
kernel-2.6.32-573.7.1.el6.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-qxl-0.1.1-17.el6.x86_64
spice-vdagent-0.14.0-9.el6.x86_64

Client can be Linux or Windows:
virt-viewer-2.0-6.el7.x86_64
VirtViewer V2.0-96 (mingw)

Host:
qemu-kvm-rhev-2.3.0-31.el7.x86_64
kernel-3.10.0-324.el7.x86_64


Steps:
1. Go to RHEV-M _UserPortal_
2. Select RHEL6 VM
3. Go to console options
4. Select: "Open in Full Screen"
5. Connect to guest. Guest should appear in FullScreen.
6. Exit from fullscreen mode by pressing: "Leave fullscreen"
7. Add one more monitor go guest VM: virt-viewer -> View -> Display 2
8. Wait until display 2 is initialized
9. Close connection
10. In RHEVM-M press "console" button.

virt-viewer stuck in "Connected to graphic server"

I cannot reproduce this for VM with RHEL7
Comment 2 Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) 2015-12-21 08:54:40 EST
(In reply to Andrei Stepanov from comment #0)
> Quick close/open connection to VM always finishes with black/inactive
> remote-viewer screen.
> 
> Guest is:
> kernel-2.6.32-573.7.1.el6.x86_64
> xorg-x11-drv-qxl-0.1.1-17.el6.x86_64
> spice-vdagent-0.14.0-9.el6.x86_64
> 
> Client can be Linux or Windows:
> virt-viewer-2.0-6.el7.x86_64
> VirtViewer V2.0-96 (mingw)
> 
> Host:
> qemu-kvm-rhev-2.3.0-31.el7.x86_64
> kernel-3.10.0-324.el7.x86_64
> 
> 
> Steps:
> 1. Go to RHEV-M _UserPortal_
> 2. Select RHEL6 VM
> 3. Go to console options
> 4. Select: "Open in Full Screen"
> 5. Connect to guest. Guest should appear in FullScreen.
> 6. Exit from fullscreen mode by pressing: "Leave fullscreen"
> 7. Add one more monitor go guest VM: virt-viewer -> View -> Display 2
> 8. Wait until display 2 is initialized
> 9. Close connection
> 10. In RHEVM-M press "console" button.
> 
> virt-viewer stuck in "Connected to graphic server"
> 
> I cannot reproduce this for VM with RHEL7


I tried to reproduce this error with a RHEL 7 client and it works every time for me. Are you sure your client is a RHEL 7? I am asking because the version I get installed in my system is 0.6.0, not 2.0.6.

[etrunko@rhel71 ~]$ rpm -qa virt-viewer
virt-viewer-0.6.0-12.el7.x86_64
Comment 3 Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) 2015-12-21 10:18:11 EST
(In reply to Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) from comment #2)
> 
> I tried to reproduce this error with a RHEL 7 client and it works every time
> for me. Are you sure your client is a RHEL 7? I am asking because the
> version I get installed in my system is 0.6.0, not 2.0.6.
> 
> [etrunko@rhel71 ~]$ rpm -qa virt-viewer
> virt-viewer-0.6.0-12.el7.x86_64

The reason for those different package versions was that I was running RHEL 7.1. I have just upgraded it to 7.2 and got virt-viewer 2.0.

But as for reproducing this bug, I still can not do it. It works every time for me. I will check the package versions on the Host system to see if they match yours.
Comment 4 Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) 2016-01-21 14:33:59 EST
(In reply to Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) from comment #3)
> 
> But as for reproducing this bug, I still can not do it. It works every time
> for me. I will check the package versions on the Host system to see if they
> match yours.

I have got package information from the host:

kernel-3.10.0-327.3.1.el7.x86_64
qemu-kvm-rhev-2.3.0-31.el7_2.5.x86_64

I think it is compatible with the one you have there. Still can't reproduce this bug here, tried with both RHEL6 and 7 clients.

Can you give another try on this please?
Comment 5 Andrei Stepanov 2016-02-09 08:52:21 EST
I can reproduce with:

virt-viewer-2.0-6.el7.x86_64
spice-vdagent-0.14.0-11.el6.i686
spice-server-0.12.4-15.el7.x86_64
Comment 6 xiaodwan 2016-02-16 04:22:33 EST
I can reproduce it both with guest rhel6.7 and rhel7.2 on Ovirt 3.6, and both with webadmin and userportal. I reproduced it with only one phisical monitor. It does not happen every time. It's about 4 of 10 times. After the issue happened, the vm turns to poweroff state.

$ rpm -q qemu-kvm-rhev
qemu-kvm-rhev-2.3.0-23.el7.x86_64
$ rpm -q virt-viewer
virt-viewer-2.0-6.el7.x86_64
$ uname -r
3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64

1. Login rhevm, both webadmin or userportal are fine.
2. Select a rhel6.7 vm, then go to console options of the vm and check the "Open in Full Screen" option.
3. Connect to guest and the guest appears in FullScreen.
4. Exit from fullscreen mode by pressing: "Leave fullscreen"
5. Add one more display of the guest by click "View -> Display 2".
6. Wait until display 2 is initialized.
7. Close connection
8. Click "console" button to connect to the guest again.


Actual Result:
1. window "Connected to graphic server" appears. 
2. After close the window, the vm turns to poweroff state (This doesn't occur every time).

Additional info:
1. If the issue doesn't happen after step8, please check if display2 is still checked by click "View -> Display 2". If no, check display2 and do step5-8 again until it happens.
2. This issue also happens on rhel6 host.
Comment 7 David Blechter 2016-02-18 16:46:49 EST
(In reply to xiaodwan from comment #6)
> I can reproduce it both with guest rhel6.7 and rhel7.2 on Ovirt 3.6, and
> both with webadmin and userportal. I reproduced it with only one phisical
> monitor. It does not happen every time. It's about 4 of 10 times. After the
> issue happened, the vm turns to poweroff state.
> 
> $ rpm -q qemu-kvm-rhev
> qemu-kvm-rhev-2.3.0-23.el7.x86_64
> $ rpm -q virt-viewer
> virt-viewer-2.0-6.el7.x86_64
> $ uname -r
> 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64
> 
> 1. Login rhevm, both webadmin or userportal are fine.
> 2. Select a rhel6.7 vm, then go to console options of the vm and check the
> "Open in Full Screen" option.
> 3. Connect to guest and the guest appears in FullScreen.
> 4. Exit from fullscreen mode by pressing: "Leave fullscreen"
> 5. Add one more display of the guest by click "View -> Display 2".
> 6. Wait until display 2 is initialized.
> 7. Close connection
> 8. Click "console" button to connect to the guest again.
> 
> 
> Actual Result:
> 1. window "Connected to graphic server" appears. 
> 2. After close the window, the vm turns to poweroff state (This doesn't
> occur every time).
> 
> Additional info:
> 1. If the issue doesn't happen after step8, please check if display2 is
> still checked by click "View -> Display 2". If no, check display2 and do
> step5-8 again until it happens.
> 2. This issue also happens on rhel6 host.

Hi,

how many monitors your VM is configured with?
Can you share the rma/vram/vgamem values from the qemu parameters?
Thanks, David
Comment 8 xiaodwan 2016-02-18 22:11:21 EST
> Hi,
> 
> how many monitors your VM is configured with?

Only 1 monitor is configured on rhevm and my real monitor is 1680x1050.

> Can you share the rma/vram/vgamem values from the qemu parameters?
> Thanks, David


# ps -ef | grep esx6.0 | grep vram
qemu     32118     1  0 Feb18 ?        00:06:52 /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm -name esx6.0-rhel6.7-i386 -S -machine pc-i440fx-rhel7.2.0,accel=kvm,usb=off -cpu Conroe -m size=2097152k,slots=16,maxmem=20971520k -realtime mlock=off -smp 1,maxcpus=16,sockets=16,cores=1,threads=1 -numa node,nodeid=0,cpus=0,mem=2048 -uuid 14856d07-7e2f-4686-b947-4f1b405b2055 -smbios type=1,manufacturer=Red Hat,product=RHEV Hypervisor,version=7.2-20151201.2.el7ev,serial=44454C4C-3600-104D-8036-B9C04F583258,uuid=14856d07-7e2f-4686-b947-4f1b405b2055 -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-esx6.0-rhel6.7-i386/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=2016-02-18T07:49:14,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device piix3-usb-uhci,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2 -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,max_ports=16,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4 -drive if=none,id=drive-ide0-1-0,readonly=on,format=raw,serial= -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0-1-0,id=ide0-1-0 -drive file=/rhev/data-center/8fc44899-1725-40cf-bc36-caf36569953d/aa306d8f-7e02-4062-be14-b07b5a061c29/images/b9cfac84-c9bd-4ea0-8c39-d01a5be41ee8/8f046fd2-0bce-4c4c-b279-d87d8242125c,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,format=raw,serial=b9cfac84-c9bd-4ea0-8c39-d01a5be41ee8,cache=none,werror=stop,rerror=stop,aio=threads -device virtio-blk-pci,scsi=off,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0,bootindex=1 -netdev tap,fd=30,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=31 -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=00:50:56:bf:d9:c1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 -chardev socket,id=charchannel0,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channels/14856d07-7e2f-4686-b947-4f1b405b2055.com.redhat.rhevm.vdsm,server,nowait -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=com.redhat.rhevm.vdsm -chardev socket,id=charchannel1,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channels/14856d07-7e2f-4686-b947-4f1b405b2055.org.qemu.guest_agent.0,server,nowait -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=2,chardev=charchannel1,id=channel1,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -chardev spicevmc,id=charchannel2,name=vdagent -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=3,chardev=charchannel2,id=channel2,name=com.redhat.spice.0 -spice port=5902,tls-port=5903,addr=10.66.144.38,x509-dir=/etc/pki/vdsm/libvirt-spice,seamless-migration=on -device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=33554432,vgamem_mb=16,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 -msg timestamp=on


It's hard to reproduce this time. I tried about 30 times and reproduced it again.
Comment 9 David Blechter 2016-03-07 16:45:59 EST
(In reply to xiaodwan from comment #6)
> I can reproduce it both with guest rhel6.7 and rhel7.2 on Ovirt 3.6, and
> both with webadmin and userportal. I reproduced it with only one phisical
> monitor. It does not happen every time. It's about 4 of 10 times. After the
> issue happened, the vm turns to poweroff state.
> 
> $ rpm -q qemu-kvm-rhev
> qemu-kvm-rhev-2.3.0-23.el7.x86_64
> $ rpm -q virt-viewer
> virt-viewer-2.0-6.el7.x86_64
> $ uname -r
> 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64
> 
> 1. Login rhevm, both webadmin or userportal are fine.
> 2. Select a rhel6.7 vm, then go to console options of the vm and check the
> "Open in Full Screen" option.
> 3. Connect to guest and the guest appears in FullScreen.
> 4. Exit from fullscreen mode by pressing: "Leave fullscreen"
> 5. Add one more display of the guest by click "View -> Display 2".
> 6. Wait until display 2 is initialized.
> 7. Close connection
> 8. Click "console" button to connect to the guest again.
> 
> 
> Actual Result:
> 1. window "Connected to graphic server" appears. 
> 2. After close the window, the vm turns to poweroff state (This doesn't
> occur every time).
> 
> Additional info:
> 1. If the issue doesn't happen after step8, please check if display2 is
> still checked by click "View -> Display 2". If no, check display2 and do
> step5-8 again until it happens.
> 2. This issue also happens on rhel6 host.

hi, sounds like you are trying to add another display even the vm is configured with one only. There is RFE in place to address the number of displays as the MAXIMUM and not allow to exceed (1075798). If both reporters can confirm, than please close this bug.
Comment 10 xiaodwan 2016-03-07 21:41:11 EST
> hi, sounds like you are trying to add another display even the vm is
> configured with one only. There is RFE in place to address the number of
> displays as the MAXIMUM and not allow to exceed (1075798). If both reporters
> can confirm, than please close this bug.

Yes, I only configured 1 monitor on ovirt.
Comment 11 Pavel Grunt 2016-03-11 08:33:13 EST
Andrei, please see the comment 9.

For how many displays you configured the VM? If it is just one, then this is not a bug (see bug 1075798 and bug 1283202).
Comment 13 Andrei Stepanov 2016-03-24 07:27:52 EDT
RHEVM -> Select VM -> Edit virtual machine -> Console -> Monitors == 4
Comment 14 Pavel Grunt 2016-06-08 04:57:02 EDT
Same steps to reproduce as for the bug 1323092

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Connect to VM with remote-viewer.
2. Go to remote-viewer->View->Displays and active one more display than the actual monitors connected at client.
3. Close remote-viewer.
4. Connect to the same VM in fullscreen mode.

closing as duplicate

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 1323092 ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.