Description of problem:
While inputting hindi text into openoffice writer, calc or impress,
the following is observed:
1. Glyphs overlap over one another
2. The input cursor position is incorrect wrt the current text position
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start OOo in hi_IN.UTF-8 locale.
2. Select gargi-1.3 as the font, at point size 12
3. Copy paste the test text in the attachment into writer
4. Select gargi-1.3 as the font, at point size 14
5. Copy paste the test text from the attachment again
6. Open the .txt attachment in gedit to compare
7. To test the input cursor, switch the keyboard to hindi input by
running "setxkbmap us", followed by "setxkbmap dev" in a gnome-terminal.
8. Input random text into writer.
9. Reset keyboard to english by switching back to the gnome-terminal,
scroll thru history and select "setxkbmap us"
10. Print the document to a file.
1. with point size 12:
- some of the glyphs overlap, the text is readable with difficulty.
- The input cursor goes ahead of the text after a lot of text has
2. with point size 14:
- the text is absolutely not readable. The text is not even
displayed after several characters have been input.
- Input cursor position is incorrect.
3. The printed output has the same issues as display.
1. The text should be readable at all point sizes
2. Input cursor positioning should be correct in all cases.
3. Printed text should be perfectly legible.
- To test, you may use the Gargi.ttf font available in this rpm:
- This was tested on RHEL4-Alpha4-RC-re0722.0
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 129531 ***
close as duplicate