Description of problem:
While inputting hindi text into openoffice writer, calc or impress,
the following is observed:
1. Glyphs overlap over one another
2. The input cursor position is incorrect wrt the current text position
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start OOo in hi_IN.UTF-8 locale.
2. Select gargi-1.3 as the font, at point size 12
3. Copy paste the test text in the attachment into writer
4. Select gargi-1.3 as the font, at point size 14
5. Copy paste the test text from the attachment again
6. Open the .txt attachment in gedit to compare
7. To test the input cursor, switch the keyboard to hindi input by
running "setxkbmap us", followed by "setxkbmap dev" in a gnome-terminal.
8. Input random text into writer.
9. Reset keyboard to english by switching back to the gnome-terminal,
scroll thru history and select "setxkbmap us"
10. Print the document to a file.
1. with point size 12:
- some of the glyphs overlap, the text is readable with difficulty.
- The input cursor goes ahead of the text after a lot of text has
2. with point size 14:
- the text is absolutely not readable. The text is not even
displayed after several characters have been input.
- Input cursor position is incorrect.
3. The printed output has the same issues as display.
1. The text should be readable at all point sizes
2. Input cursor positioning should be correct in all cases.
3. Printed text should be perfectly legible.
- To test, you may use the Gargi.ttf font available in this rpm:
- This was tested on RHEL4-Alpha4-RC-re0722.0
*** Bug 129530 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Created attachment 102555 [details]
hindi test txt
confirmed. How complete is this font? My initial guess is that OOo
cannot parse the font's kerning tables. Will investigate further.
Hmm, font has no kerning tables. It does happen to have:
I'll probably confer with Owen about which tables Pango uses for this
font and see if OOo does the same.
Thanks, including Owen into the loop.
I think I told Dan this in person, but basically I don't think it's
a problem with the selection of tables in the font; rather it's
some bug in the OpenOffice.org/ICU layout code that will have
to be debugged.
With OOo to-be-released (1.1.2-5) this appears to be OK with the SHREE
Can you test with 1.1.2-5 or higher?
1.1.2-6 works for me. this bug should be fixed along with arabic
patch. great work. Jatin, close this bug if you have the same verdict.
Tested that this works fine on 1.1.2-6, thanks. Closing bug.