Bug 1298615 - Host page provides misleading data for hosts listed there
Host page provides misleading data for hosts listed there
Status: VERIFIED
Product: Red Hat Storage Console
Classification: Red Hat
Component: UI (Show other bugs)
2
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity medium
: ---
: 2
Assigned To: sankarshan
Martin Bukatovic
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-01-14 09:58 EST by Martin Bukatovic
Modified: 2016-07-20 09:23 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: rhscon-ceph-0.0.23-1.el7scon.x86_64, rhscon-core-0.0.24-1.el7scon.x86_64, rhscon-ui-0.0.39-1.el7scon.noarch
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed:
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Martin Bukatovic 2016-01-14 09:58:32 EST
Description of problem
======================

Information provided for each host listed on Hosts page are misleading
and not based on reality.

Version-Release number of selected component
============================================

# rpm -qa | grep rhsc
rhscon-ui-0.0.6-0.1.alpha1.el7.noarch
rhscon-core-0.0.6-0.1.alpha1.el7.x86_64
rhscon-ceph-0.0.4-0.1.alpha1.el7.x86_64

How reproducible
================

100%

Steps to Reproduce
==================

1. Accept at least 2 hosts via web ui
2. Go to "Hosts" page
3. Make sure that all hosts are idle
4. Open terminal window for each host and tun top there
5. See data provided for each host on the "Hosts" page:
    - cpu load
    - memory usage
    - kernel version
    - version (this seems to be a ceph version)

Actual results
==============

Even though that all host machines were idle (cpu usage below few percent),
Hosts page provided cpu usage values randomly reporting values such as
7%, 23% or even 70%.

The same issue applies to memory usage.

Reported kernel version doesn't match: I see 4.0.4-301.fc22.x86_64 while
the actual kernel on the host machines is 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64.

Version reported is 0.94.3, while actual ceph package is ceph-0.94.3-3.el7cp.x86_64.

Expected results
================

Host values are not random or hardcoded and reflects actual state
of the machine.
Comment 3 Martin Bukatovic 2016-07-20 05:23:06 EDT
Note: neither kernel nor ceph version is reported in the host list page as
pointed out in verification comment in BZ 1296187
Comment 4 Martin Bukatovic 2016-07-20 09:23:34 EDT
Checking with
=============

rhscon-ui-0.0.48-1.el7scon.noarch
rhscon-core-selinux-0.0.34-1.el7scon.noarch
rhscon-ceph-0.0.33-1.el7scon.x86_64
rhscon-core-0.0.34-1.el7scon.x86_64
ceph-installer-1.0.14-1.el7scon.noarch
ceph-ansible-1.0.5-28.el7scon.noarch

Verification
============

On all machines of the cluster (all MON and OSD machines), I started stress
process[1] to push cpu utilization to 100% and let it run for longer period
of time so that RHSC 2.0 had enough time to notice this new state.

After 15 minutes, I see that the cpu charts were updated: I see 100% value
reported for all machines in the list.

Similar check was done for memory[2], and after another 15 or 20 minutes,
the charts were updated as well.

>> VERIFIED

[1] the actual command: `stress --cpu 2` (since my machines had 2 cpus)
[2] command `stress --vm 1 --vm-bytes 1G ` (I didn't intended to use all memory)

(That said, during testing of this BZ I noticed one peculiar issue, which
has been reported as new BZ 1358270. I created new BZ instead of failing this
one because my testing shows that the data are no longer random and actual
values are reported - which is the main concern of this BZ.)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.