Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 130592
wireless dns settings lost - initscripts 7.66
Last modified: 2014-03-16 22:47:35 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.2; Linux; X11; en_US, en) (KHTML, like Gecko)
Description of problem:
I have two interfaces on my notebook, and eth0 for direct ethernet
connection and eth1 for wireless. After yesterday's update/reboot
I have lost my dns resolving capability. I could still connect to sites
defined in /etc/hosts file bur not others. I presume initscripts was
the problem since the latest changes involved something with
resolv.conf file, which is empty in my case.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.update to initscripts-7.66-1
Looks like a duplicate of bug #130592.
My /etc/resolv.conf became one blank line only, instead of two lines
of "nameserver xx.yy.zz.ww" furnished by a NetGear RP614v2 NAT box
acting as DHCP server. This happens with every boot using
initscripts-7.66-1, under both kernel-2.6.8-1.526 and kernel-2.6.8-1.524.
I have two wired interfaces: eth0 is a sis900 in motherboard chipseg,
eth1 is a e100 add-in PCI card. [Upon initial FC3T1 installation,
anaconda+kudzu put the cards in the other order, but I switched them
because I wanted the same order as the other 5 Linux systems in this
multi-boot box.] Both kernel modules got loaded automatically:
alias eth0 sis900
alias eth1 e100
-----/sbin/lsmod | egrep 'e100|sis'
e100 34245 0
mii 3777 1 e100
sis900 15941 0
Current configuration uses eth0, and does not use eth1:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr yy.yy.yy.yy.yy.yy
inet addr:192.168.0.5 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: <private> Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:544 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:436 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:552317 (539.3 Kb) TX bytes:76086 (74.3 Kb)
Interrupt:12 Base address:0xd400
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
If I put the correct 'nameserver' lines into /etc/resolv.conf, then I
can ping external sites by DNS name. Otherwise I must use numerical
IP4 addresses only. I have dhclient-3.0.1-7 installed.
The commonality with the original poster is two ethernet interfaces,
and an empty /etc/resolv.conf file after booting with initscripts-7.66-1.
Try applying the patch from bug #130575.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 130575 ***
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.