Bug 130967 - konqueror crashes when doing a save-as
Summary: konqueror crashes when doing a save-as
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: gamin
Version: rawhide
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Daniel Veillard
QA Contact:
: 132922 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks: FC3Target 131589
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
Reported: 2004-08-26 08:22 UTC by Ellen Shull
Modified: 2013-04-02 04:20 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version: 0.0.9
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2004-09-04 08:32:38 UTC

Attachments (Terms of Use)
gdb trace of the crash (12.12 KB, text/plain)
2004-08-26 08:23 UTC, Ellen Shull
no flags Details

Description Ellen Shull 2004-08-26 08:22:02 UTC
Description of problem:
konqueror (other kde progs too?) crashes when doing a save-as, with a 
SIGSEGV in free () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:
Always on my system...

Steps to Reproduce:
1.  Start up konqueror, go to a page with stuff to download (I've been
using http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~wes/images/ since it's mine)
2.  Right-click and save-as something.  (I've been using
"Adam_Osborne.jpg" since it's the first thing there)
Actual results:
File downloads, then konq crashes.  For a reason I don't understand,
it just says "Alarm clock", but if you do it in gdb it's actually a
segfault.  See attached gdb output.

Expected results:
File saves, no crash.

Additional info:
Could this actually be a problem with gamin?

Comment 1 Ellen Shull 2004-08-26 08:23:02 UTC
Created attachment 103112 [details]
gdb trace of the crash

Comment 2 Ngo Than 2004-08-30 09:32:38 UTC
it looks like a bug in gamin (fam replacement), which causes this
crash here. It works fine with fam. I reassign it to correct component

Comment 3 Daniel Veillard 2004-08-30 09:38:11 UTC
can you upgrade to gamin-0.0.8 from rawhide and retry ?
There was some serious problem with version 0.0.7


Comment 4 Ellen Shull 2004-08-30 11:17:50 UTC
Yes, it still happens with gamin-0.0.8, exact same call trace even.  I
went a little further this time and rebuilt gamin with --enable-debug
to get a better look at what's going bad, so...  near the end of

     * TODO: check should this *really* be freed ?

That's the free that it's crashing on.

I also ran my test in konqueror under valgrind memcheck, and it turns
up two spots with fam-related problems:

==13894== Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
==13894==    at 0x1BC40E88: KDirWatchPrivate::checkFAMEvent(FAMEvent*)
(in /usr/lib/libkio.so.4.2.0)
==13894==    by 0x1BC41350: KDirWatchPrivate::famEventReceived() (in
==13894==    by 0x1BC4161F: KDirWatchPrivate::qt_invoke(int,
QUObject*) (in /usr/lib/libkio.so.4.2.0)
==13894==    by 0x1C603C9D: QObject::activate_signal(QConnectionList*,
QUObject*) (in /usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.3)
==13894== Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
==13894==    at 0x1C272400: free (in /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4.2.0)
==13894==    by 0x1CBD12EA: FAMCancelMonitor (gam_api.c:1182)
==13894==    by 0x1BC3ED34: KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry(KDirWatch*,
QString const&, KDirWatchPrivate::Entry*) (in /usr/lib/libkio.so.4.2.0)
==13894==    by 0x1BC3EEDE: KDirWatch::removeDir(QString const&) (in

Comment 5 Daniel Veillard 2004-08-30 12:18:05 UTC
Okay, the free() should not be done, that's clear now, thanks a lot
I will fix that. However I'm not clear about the one in

  1/ I don't know that code
  2/ Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
     can be generated by valgrind when run on optimized code
     whithout it being a real programming mistake. 

But I will try to make sure the full FAMEvent structure as returned
by FAMNextEvent is fully initialized.
I will double-check and commit this to CVs soon. I will probably
make a new release of gamin this week.


Comment 6 Daniel Veillard 2004-09-01 08:32:32 UTC
Okay, reproduced the crash, verified that the change fixes the 
problem, this is commited in gamin CVS, and should hit Rawhide soon.



Comment 7 Ellen Shull 2004-09-04 08:32:38 UTC
Got the new package from rawhide and tested it; fix works as 
promised.  Thanks, closing this bug now. 

Comment 8 Ellen Shull 2004-09-04 08:41:36 UTC
Oh, one last thing...  I noticed you changed the component from 
'gamin' to 'kon2'.  I'm assuming that was an accident and I'm 
changing it back so as not to confuse anyone. 

Comment 9 Daniel Veillard 2004-09-04 09:33:25 UTC
yeah, it was a mistake, thanks !


Comment 10 Daniel Veillard 2004-09-21 14:19:23 UTC
*** Bug 132922 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.