Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1312098
[RFE] Satellite 6 should ship with larger default configurations to support large client installs
Last modified: 2018-06-16 01:59:42 EDT
Right now we have a pre-set limit of 225 Content Hosts for QPID which is far too low, see the install guide section:
Increasing the Maximum Number of Client Connections
With more than 225 content hosts, qpidd reaches the maximum number of client connections. To increase it, first establish the new value of the limit that is calculated as:
we should have our installer configure the various system level values to increase the defaults so customers don't hit arbitrary limits with reasonable # of clients.
Ideally we can support up to 30k clients without requiring manual reconfiguration.
Based upon your testing, do you have any specific recommendations on the configurations/properties to tune and their values to support addressing this request?
The 6.1 docs linked in comment 0 are a bit out of date. 6.2 has different requirements, documented at https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_satellite/6.2/html/installation_guide/large_deployment_considerations.
Each item is detailed below. Some are entirely possible in the installer. The postgresql configuration is complicated, see item #3. I would not expect that to make 6.3.
1. "Increasing the Maximum Number of File Descriptors for Apache"
Not available. Maybe expose in puppet-foreman? But installer won't wipe out these changes if manually made for now as changes are made via systemd drop-ins.
2. "Increasing the Maximum Number of File Descriptors for qpid"
PR (pending) https://github.com/Katello/puppet-qpid/pull/64
Custom hiera usage:
3. "Increasing the Shared Buffer and Work Memory" (postgresql)
Complicated, because of how puppetlabs-postgresql works. I wouldn't expect this to make the installer for 6.3
Other BZ's: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1440879, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1449707, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1421636
Upstream discussion: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/foreman-dev/mKELbDvo-TQ/kYRIHYZQDAAJ
3. "Increasing Concurrent Content Host Registrations"
Partial. See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1449697
4. "Increasing the maximum number of open files for qdrouterd"
PR (pending) https://github.com/Katello/puppet-qpid/pull/50
Custom hiera usage:
1) Tuned profiles
If its RHEL6, install tuned and setup throuput-performance profile
If its RHEL7, its taken care
2) Apache Configuration : Passenger config
It depends on workloads.
3) Increase apache open files
4) Increase qpid open files
5) Increase content_action_accept_timeout
in Administer -> Settings -> Katello
to more than default (20seconds) so clients have more time to answer
6) Increase qdrouterd open files
7) increase postgresql tunings
8) httpd_foreman_ssl_katello_keep_alive: 'On'
9) httpd_foreman_ssl_katello_keep_alive_timeout: '5'
10) httpd_foreman_ssl_katello_max_keep_alive_requests: '0'
11) httpd_foreman_ssl_passenger_max_requests: '1000'
12) httpd_foreman_ssl_passenger_max_preloader_idle_time: '0'
This needs good capacity planning. increasing it more can cause more CPU usage. For puppet workloads also, it will affect
14) postgres_log_min_duration_statement: '500'
15) Increase smart_proxy open files
Based on Comment #5 moving this out of Sat 6.3 as its not possible.
2 PRS will be taken out of this 1 merged and another in the works see comment #5
*** Bug 1472587 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Bug 1472587 has been marked as a duplicate of this bugzilla.
When addressing this one, please ensure to also cover the configuration parameters specified in: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1472587#c0
*** Bug 1244112 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 1440879 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***