Description of problem:
The documentation is centered in virtual machine management document. We need to avoid linking to the RHEL documentation as it is too cluttered and not understandable for people dealing only with RHEV.
The improvements are mentioned in doc text.
Assigning to Julie for review.
We need to make sure it also provides documentation for RHEV-H hosts.
Most of the customers are running RHEV-H and not plain RHEL, and there is a big interest in this feature to be deployed on it.
I've been reading through the existing content we have for sr-iov and device passthrough, and I think it might be a good idea to link the content together and create a tutorial-like section so the procedures are more useful to customers. For example:
Task: How to enable host device passthrough and sr-iov to allow assigning dedicated virtual NICS to specific virtual machines
1. Enable hardware for passthrough and sr-iov technology (RHEL Deployment and Administration Guide, SR-IOV hardware considerations)
2. Enable software side for host device passthrough (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html#Preparing_GPU_Passthrough )
3. Edit SR-IOV-capable NICs (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html/Administration_Guide/chap-Logical_Networks.html#Editing_VFs_on_NIC)
4. Enabling Passthrough on a vNIC Profile (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html/Administration_Guide/sect-Virtual_Network_Interface_Cards.html#Marking_vNIC_as_Passthrough )
5. Enable software side for vm to allow host device to be attached (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html-single/Virtual_Machine_Management_Guide/index.html#Adding_Host_Devices_to_a_Virtual_Machine )
6. Verify the setup.
I like it, but I'm not sure if this isn't more of a knowledge base article rather than documentation. But having this tutorial-like setup guide regardless of where would be nice!
My concern is - would you expect it to replace the documentation that is/would be in installation guide, administration guide? If I imagine myself deploying RHEV, I'd expect hostdev/SR-IOV to be working after going through installation and only use the tutorial to verify that everything is set up correctly.
I sent you an email a few days ago. Can you please have a look and let me know if you have any feedback?
Answered the email with feedback.
Thanks, Julie and Martin.
I also put this information into this kcs: