Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 136941
font corruption on openoffice.org menus
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:07:13 EST
Description of problem:
Openoffice.org menus have corrupted fonts.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
RHEL 4 beta 1 with openoffice.org-1.1.2-10
The corrupted fonts appear on the menus of Openoffice.org on an IBM
Thinkpad T30 with a 1400x1050 screen and a 16 MB Rage Mobility 7500 chip.
Created attachment 105693 [details]
Example of screen corruption
What fonts do you have installed? Can you past the output of an
'fc-list' command typed into a Terminal to this bug? Also, what font
is shown as the "default" font in the Fonts preference panel
(Application menu/Red Hat menu->Preferences->Fonts)? Is it "Sans" or
Font is "Sans"
Created attachment 105698 [details]
output of fc-list
An update on this. I installed FC3 RC5 on the same laptop this weekend
and the problem still exists. I have, however, discovered that it only
seems to be an issue in 16-bit mode; when I switch to 24-bit mode the
font corruption is largely gone (there are still some small artifacts,
such as the 'n' in 'Window' on the menubar). I haven't had an
opportunity to test it, but I imagine that color depth is also related
to the problem under RHEL 4 Beta 1.
Note: under Linux, I need to use 16-bit color in order to get
accelerated OpenGL graphics at the panel's native resolution of
1400x1050 on this laptop, hence the problem.
One other thing. I have seen similar corruption during the install of
FC3 RC5 and RHEL 4 Beta 1, on the Firewall Configuration screen. The
"o" in "No firewall" is corrupted, until you run the cursor over it.
I'm not sure if this points to an underlying problem with xorg-x11,
but I thought I would pass it on.
I've seen this with OOo 1.1.2-10 on FC3 using both Luxi Sans and
Nimbus Sans L. It seems to only happen on the letter 'r'.
Freetype version: 2.1.9-1
What's your version of freetype? OOo uses the system freetype so that
might be the common factor here... (though I also have a Radeon
Mobility M6 LY, so it might be ATI-specific).
(note that I'm running in Millions of Colors (24-bit I assume).
Freetype version: 2.1.9-1
Try running in Thousands of Colors, which is 16-bit. You should see
the problem fairly quickly.
Note that I see the problem with other fonts than Sans. Bitstream Vera
Sans also has the same issue.
As mentioned recently, how does disabling RenderAccel affect this...
Option "RenderAccel" "false"
Maybe this is the same or related to rh#143234#
Setting RenderAccel to false appears to fix this.
Also updated the bugzilla to indicate that the bug still exists (before the
Render Accel fix) in RHEL 4 GA.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 136065 ***
close as dup
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.