Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 136065
Bad font rendering in OOo UI
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:52 EST
Description of problem:
Font rendering produces strange results.
Please see attached screenshot for details.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open oowriter
2. Choose Help->About Openoffice.org
3. Check the word "credits" for example
Actual Results: Some characters are garbled.
Expected Results: Clear font rendering.
Created attachment 105347 [details]
Screenshot of OOo about box with strange rendering outlined
Hmmm... I'm running a rawhide snapshot from the last couple of days
and I can't reproduce this. Wild guess: maybe it's locale-dependent?
What's the output of "echo $LANG" on your system?
I have latest rawhide snapshot.
For the test I ran oowriter from command line with:
With my default locale OOo comes up in estonian, but the problem is
still the same.
What can I do? Is there any way to see exactly what fonts it is trying
Created attachment 106252 [details]
About box with bad fonts
I see the same problem occuring with the latest packages.
The corrupted characters appear both in the menu system and the
documents themselves. I have added an attachment that shows my "about"
My default LANG = en_GB.UTF-8
I tried running it as "LANG=en_GB oowriter", "LANG=C" etc, but it
seemed to have no effect.
I believe that this may be video driver related. I have had Fedora Core 3
installed on 4 different systems:
- Homegrown dual-Pentium III with Matrox G200 (mga driver)
- Homegrown VIA EPIA-M with built-in "CastelRock" graphics (via driver)
- Homegrown Pentium III with Matrox G450 (mga driver)
- IBM ThinkPad T30 with ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 (radeon driver)
Of these, I only see the font corruption on the ThinkPad.
I see this up through openoffice.org-1.1.3-6.5.0.fc3 on Fedora Core 3.
(The version of this bug should probably be updated.)
As I suspected, I can make the font corruption go away on the ThinkPad by
Option "Accel" "false"
Not really a usable workaround, but perhaps this is really an X.org problem?
Kevin: can you help direct this issue where it needs to go? It seems to be related to ATI X.org drivers
specifically, no other graphics chipsets are affected. OOo makes heavy use of XRender to draw the text
which is probably where the issue is coming from. In any case, we'll need some X people to help
Dan: There is a known issue with Render acceleration with certain Radeon cards.
We will be disabling it by default in the next update. In the meantime, you
can disable it by adding the following line to the "Device" section of your
Option "RenderAccel" "False"
This will only disable Render acceleration -- all other acceleration is still
enabled and should work fine. When we work the remaining bugs out of the Radeon
Render accel code, we will reenable it by default.
Setting "RenderAccel" to "False" does appear to fix the font rendering issues
in OpenOffice.org. So all that's needed is the bugzilla # of the Radeon
Render problem, and this can be closed as a DUP.
Ok, over to X.org then.
*** Bug 136941 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 149907 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 143401 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Upstream bug URL:
*** Bug 143234 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Adding bug alias "radeon-renderaccel" to make it easier to close
* Tue Mar 1 2005 Mike A. Harris <firstname.lastname@example.org> 6.8.2-5
to disable render acceleration by default in the "radeon" driver, as
currently broken (#136065,136941,149907,143401,143234)
Please test the rawhide 6.8.2-5. This will be released for FC3
in the future.
Bug set to "MODIFIED" state pending testing of new rpms.