Description of problem:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): GlusterFS 3.8.4 (latest)
How reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run command: "gluster volume set all cluster.enable-shared-storage enable"
1. The running Volume now lists "cluster.enable-shared-storage: enable"
a. The command returned success.
2. However the shared volume was not created.
1. When the command fails, a failure return code is expected.
a. With a relevant description.
2. It is expected that the command will create the shared volume.
OS: Debian Jessie
1. Rebooting did not help.
2. Rebuilding the clustered data volume did not help.
3. Clearing files in /var/run/gluster did not help.
4. Logs lack error messages except:
readv on /var/run/gluster/d373e2b2e599fb58e944558312eb1ae5.socket failed (Invalid argument)
Was the hook script /var/lib/glusterd/hooks/1/set/post/S32gluster_enable_shared_storage.sh present at the time this was seen. Hook scripts get deleted when we clean up /var/lib/glusterd, and need to be installed again.
1. At this point I am not able to tell if it was installed.
a. I have long since moved on and installed by other means.
2. Where is this documented about the scripts?
3. If the scripts are missing but needed, the command should fail and specifically state that the scripts are missing.
a. The command should not fail but report success.
I agree, maybe we can edit the summary of this bug to reflect the same, and make the necessary changes so that the command fails with the appropriate message.
Based on comment #3, updating the summary of the bug.
REVIEW: http://review.gluster.org/15741 (glusterd/shared storage: Check for hook-script at staging) posted (#1) for review on release-3.8 by Avra Sengupta (firstname.lastname@example.org)
COMMIT: http://review.gluster.org/15741 committed in release-3.8 by Atin Mukherjee (email@example.com)
Author: Avra Sengupta <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue Oct 25 12:44:29 2016 +0530
glusterd/shared storage: Check for hook-script at staging
Check if S32gluster_enable_shared_storage.sh is present
at /var/lib/glusterd/hooks/1/set/post/ at staging
before proceeding with the command. Fail the command
with the appropriate error message in case it is not
> Reviewed-on: http://review.gluster.org/15718
> NetBSD-regression: NetBSD Build System <email@example.com>
> Smoke: Gluster Build System <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> CentOS-regression: Gluster Build System <email@example.com>
> Reviewed-by: Atin Mukherjee <firstname.lastname@example.org>
(cherry picked from commit 29587a91716e1e55bd172d63340c40249fb343c9)
Signed-off-by: Avra Sengupta <email@example.com>
Smoke: Gluster Build System <firstname.lastname@example.org>
NetBSD-regression: NetBSD Build System <email@example.com>
CentOS-regression: Gluster Build System <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reviewed-by: Atin Mukherjee <email@example.com>
This bug is getting closed because a release has been made available that should address the reported issue. In case the problem is still not fixed with glusterfs-3.8.6, please open a new bug report.
glusterfs-3.8.6 has been announced on the Gluster mailinglists , packages for several distributions should become available in the near future. Keep an eye on the Gluster Users mailinglist  and the update infrastructure for your distribution.