Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 146043
Problems with external USB DVD burner
Last modified: 2015-01-04 17:16:12 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Description of problem:
I've found some bug reports about oopses when plugging in USB storage
device, but this problem seems to be different. Kernel recognizes the
drive, it does not crash, but it doesn't operate properly.
I have Sony DRU-710A DVD burner (external USB). When I plug it,
kernel recognizes it as high-speed USB devices. However, I am not
able to use the device. Soon after plugging it, kernel starts to
complain about the device, tries to reset it, and than goes in circles
simply filling the logs whenever I attempt to use device. If I
attempt to use dd to extract CD or DVD image, more errors are logged
(Buffer I/O error on device sr0).
What is strange (as you'll see from the log files), device is not
detected exactly the same every time. Sometimes it is detected as
48x/48x CD burner, sometimes as 40x/40x CD burner, and I even got it
detected as 125x/48x (?!) CD burner once. Every time, the device is
detected as CD burner, not as DVD burner (I'm not sure if kernel makes
any difference between the two).
I'll include relevant portion of /var/log/message and output of lspci
-v as attachments.
$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: SONY Model: DVD RW DRU-710A Rev: BY01
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
$ cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/2
Host scsi2: usb-storage
Serial Number: None
Protocol: Transparent SCSI
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Attach Sony DRU-710A external USB device
Created attachment 110162 [details]
errors from /var/log/message
Created attachment 110163 [details]
output of lspci -v
BTW, if this is related to the same problem (kernel oops when USB
device is attached), let me know and I'll resubmit these as comments
to that bug report.
Created attachment 110164 [details]
errors from /var/log/message
The previous log file was missing kernel messages as the device was plugged in.
This log is more complete.
I've installed (couple of days ago) a fresh installation of FC3 onto
different motherboard (Intel D865PERL). With this motherboard
everything seemed to more or less with stock FC3 kernel
(kernel-2.6.9-1.667), as long as DVD was plugged in before machine was
booted. I was getting some strange oops messages if I
unplugged/plugged it while kernel was up and running. After upgrading
to latest kernel (kernel-2.6.10-1.741_FC3), I lost links in /dev
directory, and entry for this device in /etc/fstab. Upgrading udev
doesn't seem to have changed anything. However, I was able to access
device using /dev/scd0 (for reading and writing to it). Writing to it
using cdrecord wasn't very successfull (more details added to bug
Seems to be working with current kernels.