Bug 1465835 - Add Requires: aspell-en
Add Requires: aspell-en
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: inkscape (Show other bugs)
rawhide
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity unspecified
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Gwyn Ciesla
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On: 1464487
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-06-28 06:29 EDT by Jan Pokorný
Modified: 2017-08-08 12:07 EDT (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: 1464487
Environment:
Last Closed: 2017-08-08 12:07:58 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)


External Trackers
Tracker ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Launchpad 935823 None None None 2017-06-28 06:29 EDT

  None (edit)
Description Jan Pokorný 2017-06-28 06:29:41 EDT
Hello, finally got to test the reported subissue in more detail:

+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #1464487 +++

Then I tried to check the function of the spell checker from within
inkscape built like that:

1. select "Create and edit text objects (F8)"
2. enter some random text
3. go to main menu > Text > Check spelling
4. observe new embedded dialog just with one button active
   -- "Stop"
5. if you click on that button, you'll get a segfault

But after reinstalling inkscape with original Fedora version using
gtkspell, I got the same behavior, so I don't really think this would
be a regression -- it's rather a pre-existing bug that should not
block getting rid of dependency on now-orphaned package.

--- Additional comment from Jan Pokorný on 2017-06-23 16:22:07 CEST ---

Note when I run inkscape from terminal, I can observe

> ** (inkscape:20386): WARNING **: Error: No word lists can be found for the language "en_US".

prior to the crash.


* * *


So, I've discovered, a long-standing upstream bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/935823

Indeed, installing aspell-en will fix the issue.
I was worried that the language for the dictionary is influenced with
LANG environment variable, but discovered it's not true.
Moreover, when for instance one installs just aspell-cs (or any other
aspell-LANG where LANG != en) and select that language in the Inkscape
properties as a primary language, the same crash happens regardless.

Hence it seems safe to assume that just having aspell-en installed
along with Inkscape should solve the problem (worst case the majority
will still be covered).

Thanks for considering!

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.