Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1466323
CVE-2016-4383 openstack-glance: glance-manage db purge breaks image immutability expectation
Last modified: 2018-05-14 07:59:42 EDT
The glance-manage db in openstack-glance allows deleted image IDs to be reassigned, which allows remote authenticated users to cause other users to boot into a modified image without notification of the change.
Created openstack-glance tracking bugs for this issue:
Affects: openstack-rdo [bug 1466324]
The OSSN is here (with mitigation): https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OSSN/OSSN-0075
For this flaw to be exploited, both non-admin image upload must be permitted and records of deleted IDs must have been purged from the openstack-glance 'images' database table.
To prevent flaw exploitation:
* Do not allow non-admin users to upload images, or
* If you do permit normal users to upload images, do not purge the 'images' table. Note: It is safe to delete rows from `image_properties`, `image_tags`, `image_members`, and `image_locations` tables.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this issue as having security impact of Moderate for:
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 6.0 (Juno) for RHEL 7
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 7.0 (Kilo) for RHEL 7
* Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8.0 (Liberty)
* Red Hat OpenStack Platform 9.0 (Mitaka)
* Red Hat OpenStack Platform 10.0 (Newton)
* Red Hat OpenStack Platform 11.0 (Ocata)
* Red Hat OpenStack Platform 12.0 (Pike)
This issue is not currently planned to be addressed in future updates (see Mitigation). For additional information, refer to the Issue Severity Classification: https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/classification/.