Bug 1554988 - add google-noto-sans-gurmkukhi-fonts to Punjabi/Panjabi (pa) langpack
Summary: add google-noto-sans-gurmkukhi-fonts to Punjabi/Panjabi (pa) langpack
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: google-noto-fonts
Version: 30
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Parag Nemade
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2018-03-13 17:39 UTC by A S Alam
Modified: 2019-07-27 17:35 UTC (History)
12 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2019-07-26 08:37:31 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Screenshot of Lohit and Noto Fonts (492.97 KB, image/png)
2019-01-24 08:33 UTC, A S Alam
no flags Details

Description A S Alam 2018-03-13 17:39:23 UTC
Description: 
Currently Punjabi langpack didn't include google-noto-sans-gurmukhi fonts, which has better glyphs and better support than current default fonts. It will increase end user experience.

Packages to be added: 
google-noto-sans-gurmukhi-fonts
google-noto-sans-gurmukhi-ui-fonts

Comps group:  
langpacks-pa

Default: 

Mandatory: 
google-noto-sans-gurmukhi-fonts
google-noto-sans-gurmukhi-ui-fonts

Visible: 

Multi-lib: 

Need to be present for arches: 
All

Comment 1 Stephen Gallagher 2019-01-16 15:19:30 UTC
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:FontsPolicy requires that these be added as OPTIONAL, not MANDATORY unless you have the approval of the relevant localization team. Please provide a reference to this approval before take any action here.

Comment 2 A S Alam 2019-01-18 06:55:41 UTC
(In reply to Stephen Gallagher from comment #1)
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:FontsPolicy requires that these be
> added as OPTIONAL, not MANDATORY unless you have the approval of the
> relevant localization team. Please provide a reference to this approval
> before take any action here.

Hi Stephen
What are steps to get approval from localization team. Mail from Localization team  member or team leader? Please suggest so that I can get approval from Panjabi team.

Thanks
AA

Comment 3 Stephen Gallagher 2019-01-18 14:33:39 UTC
Yes, please reach out to the Punjabi localization team. Contact information is at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N_Punjabi_Team

Comment 4 Jaswinder Singh 2019-01-22 07:20:52 UTC
It will be good for users if below google fonts will be default fonts for Punjabi language. Please do needful to make these fonts default for Punjabi language.

google-noto-sans-gurmukhi-fonts
google-noto-sans-gurmukhi-ui-fonts


A S Alam has already shared features of these fonts as better glyphs and better support than current default fonts. So end user will have good experience using these fonts.


Thanks,
JassyPhulewala

Comment 5 Pravin Satpute 2019-01-23 11:43:12 UTC
Thanks Stephen for adding me in cc.

Aman and Jaswinder long time Fedora representative for Punjabi language. 

Aman can you help us with some images or difference between existing Lohit Vs Google Noto before making this change. It will be helpful for better understanding changing this.  

We can make Lohit as an Optional and Google Noto as a default for Punjabi language after this. Also we need to change priority of fontconf for respective font package.    

We recently changed default fonts for Sinhla from lklug to Google Noto after community inputs.   (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1450802)

Comment 6 A S Alam 2019-01-24 08:33:37 UTC
Created attachment 1523020 [details]
Screenshot of Lohit and Noto Fonts

Simple compare shows that noto looks better to End user or customer when compare to Lohit.
Hope this will help.

Comment 7 A S Alam 2019-01-24 08:34:55 UTC
(In reply to Pravin Satpute from comment #5)
> Thanks Stephen for adding me in cc.
> 
> Aman and Jaswinder long time Fedora representative for Punjabi language. 
> 
> Aman can you help us with some images or difference between existing Lohit
> Vs Google Noto before making this change. It will be helpful for better
> understanding changing this.  
> 
> We can make Lohit as an Optional and Google Noto as a default for Punjabi
> language after this. Also we need to change priority of fontconf for
> respective font package.    
> 

Pravin is font guru, we need your expertise here.

Thanks for your help.

> We recently changed default fonts for Sinhla from lklug to Google Noto after
> community inputs.   (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1450802)

Comment 8 Pravin Satpute 2019-01-30 07:42:45 UTC
Thanks Aman :)

    From image Noto looks better, only issue with Noto is upstream does not provide .sfd or other source file, Need to wait for upstream to fix bugs. On the other hand, we have not fixed anything in Lohit Gurmukhi from last few years. 

    So we can go ahead with this change and see how it works and community response for it.
 
   Following are the steps.
 
   1. Need to change Lohit gurmukhi fontconfig priority from 65-0 to 66
   2. Need to change googole-noto punjabi fonts priority to 65-0
   3. Need to submit PR for https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/issues with bug reference.
 
  I am sure, soon Fedora i18n team will take over it.

Comment 9 A S Alam 2019-03-10 17:37:56 UTC
(In reply to Pravin Satpute from comment #8)
> Thanks Aman :)
> 
>     From image Noto looks better, only issue with Noto is upstream does not
> provide .sfd or other source file, Need to wait for upstream to fix bugs. On
> the other hand, we have not fixed anything in Lohit Gurmukhi from last few
> years. 
> 
>     So we can go ahead with this change and see how it works and community
> response for it.
>  
>    Following are the steps.
>  
>    1. Need to change Lohit gurmukhi fontconfig priority from 65-0 to 66
>    2. Need to change googole-noto punjabi fonts priority to 65-0
>    3. Need to submit PR for https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/issues with bug
> reference.
>  
>   I am sure, soon Fedora i18n team will take over it.

Hey Parvin

Do you want me to file bug to complete step 1 and 2?

Thanks
Alam

Comment 10 Pravin Satpute 2019-04-01 07:43:05 UTC
My bad.
Once this is fixed in Lohit and Google noto fonts we can report issue for comps at https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/issues get it fixed there itself.  No need bug in Fedora comps. 
Moving this bug from comps to google-noto-fonts.

@Aman please report bug for lohit-gurmukhi-fonts.

Comment 11 Akira TAGOH 2019-04-01 08:03:15 UTC
It may be too late to make such changes in f30 perhaps. IMHO we should have certain Changes proposal for this to let users pay attention on this and get feedback/testing etc? also need to make sure if new fonts is available on ISO too. so I suppose it may be good to postpone to f31 or so.

Comment 12 Jens Petersen 2019-04-12 06:48:56 UTC
At least we could add "Recommends: google-noto-sans-gurmukhi-fonts" to f30 langpacks-pa.  I filed bug 1699210 for that.

Comment 13 Parag Nemade 2019-07-26 08:37:31 UTC
Sorry for taking long time to fix this. This has been fixed in F31+ now. The google-noto-sans-gurmkukhi-fonts is default font for Punjabi language.

Comment 14 A S Alam 2019-07-27 17:35:16 UTC
@Parag,
No worries for delay. That is good news. Kudos!!


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.