Description of problem:
Importing VM from OVA file with a lot of VM configuration parameters succeed, but some configuration is missing (without covering the whole possible VM configuration):
- Pin to host
- Host devices attached
- IO threads
- Attached CD with ISO image
- CPU topology
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Export VM as OVA with the next configuration:
2 different disks, iSCSI and NFS
instance type - large
Total 4 virtual CPU with 2 threads per core
Clout init enabled, set timezone authentication and custom script
smart card enabled
VirtIO serial enabled
console USB support enabled
host - pinned
IO threads enabled
Attach CD - with windows image
boot menu - enabled
RNG /dev/urandom enabled
vGPU mdev_type - add Nvidia instance
VFIO passthrough - attach device
2. Delete source VM and import this OVA.
Not all configuration is set on the imported VM.
All content should be included in OVF.
engine.log, vdsm.log and ovirt-ova export import logs attached.
Created attachment 1413151 [details]
Created attachment 1413152 [details]
Created attachment 1413153 [details]
Created attachment 1413154 [details]
Created attachment 1413155 [details]
Created attachment 1413157 [details]
need a bit more time
CPU topology should be fixed by bz 1558614
Looking at the missing pieces that are mentioned above, they can be divided into two groups:
(1) Things were saved/restored when using an export domain and are not saved/restored properly when using an OVA. Those fields include: Pinned hosts, Could-init/Sysprep, threads per CPI (which is different than IO thread that seems to be handled fine), CPU topology.
(2) Things that were not saved/restored properly from an export domain as well. Those fields include: Host devices attached, Attached CD with ISO image.
The posted patches address the first group.
The second group is more complex to solve and there should be no rush in providing these fields as they are missing in export domains for quite a while.
Nisim, how about changing this bug to be specific for:
- Pin to host
- Threads per CPU
- CPU topology
And file new bugs for the additional fields?
Done, please see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1581196
Not all patches made it before the tagging.
1. Cloud-init custom script after OVA import is in raw and not the same as source VM format:
- source VM custom script example:
# The name of the repository
# Any repository configuration options
# See: man yum.conf
# This one is required!
- Destination VM custom script example:
yum_repos:# The name of the repositoryepel-testing:# Any repository configuration options# See: man yum.conf## This one is required!baseurl: http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/testing/5/enabled: falsefailovermethod: prioritygpgcheck: true
2. Sysprep, organization name and system locale are missing on destination VM,
(In reply to Nisim Simsolo from comment #12)
Nisim, let me suggest to change this bug so it will cover all the missing things in VMs imported from OVAs compared to VMs imported from an export domain. We really should provide the same functionality as with export domains (changed the title accordingly).
Other gaps that exist for export domains as well, like the ones you detailed in comment 12, are harder to fix and are probably not so important. Please file a separate bug(s) for those issues.
This bugzilla is included in oVirt 4.2.4 release, published on June 26th 2018.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in oVirt 4.2.4 release, it has been closed with a resolution of CURRENT RELEASE.
If the solution does not work for you, please open a new bug report.