Bug 156276 - java.awt.filedialog blocks instead of text
java.awt.filedialog blocks instead of text
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: openmotif (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Thomas Woerner
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2005-04-28 12:04 EDT by Clay Campbell
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2007-01-13 14:55:01 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Clay Campbell 2005-04-28 12:04:33 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050414 Firefox/1.0.3

Description of problem:
After the April 23 updates, java.awt.filedialog comes up with blocks where text should be, and these errors are thrown

    Name: Text
    Class: XmTextField
    Character 'c' not supported in font.  Discarded.
replace c with any char used in the filedialog

changing the env var LANG=en_US.UTF-8 to LANG=UTF-8 fixed this 

I'm not sure what package/update is actually the culprit, I'm guessing lesstif

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
xorg updates from april 23

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1. run a java app with the java.awt.filedialog class and open a file dialog
2. changing the env var LANG=en_US.UTF-8 to LANG=UTF-8 
3. run java app again, proper text is displayed

Actual Results:  text in dialog box shows up as blocks(squares)

Expected Results:  should show up as text

Additional info:

This problem did not surface until the april 23 patch cluster for FC3.
Comment 1 Florin Andrei 2005-04-28 19:00:48 EDT
bug #156319 is similar
Comment 2 Clay Campbell 2005-05-04 10:50:59 EDT
I did some strace(es) of the java app, one with LANG set default
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 one to LANG=UTF-8 (makes it work)

The diff showed this when LANG=en_US.UTF-8

open("/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3
> fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=39559104, ...}) = 0
> mmap2(NULL, 2097152, PROT_READ, MAP_PRIVATE, 3, 0) = 0xf6dea000
> mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ, MAP_PRIVATE, 3, 0x458) = 0xf6de9000
> close(3)                                = 0

Maybe this will help
Comment 3 Clay Campbell 2005-05-05 09:51:22 EDT
Sorry for not specifying this earlier, this is seen running from 


Comment 4 Clay Campbell 2005-05-05 10:39:44 EDT

This looks very similar

BTW using jdk_1.4.2_07 produces the same error
Comment 5 Clay Campbell 2005-06-10 09:45:03 EDT
The Jun 7 updates appear to have fixed this bug.  Any idea which package /
package combo was the culprit?

Thanks everyone,

Comment 6 Thomas Woerner 2006-01-20 10:35:22 EST
Can you please test this with openmotif-2.2.3-10.FC3.1, which was pushed as as
update for FC-3?
Comment 7 John Thacker 2007-01-13 14:55:01 EST
(This is a mass update to bugs which have been in NEEDINFO unmodified for over a
year and are for a currently unsupported version of Fedora Core.)

Closing per lack of response to previous request for information.
This bug was originally filed against a much earlier version of Fedora
Core, and significant changes have taken place since the last version
for which this bug is confirmed.

Note that FC3 and FC4 are supported by Fedora Legacy for security
fixes only.  Please install a still supported version and retest.  If
it still occurs on FC5 or FC6, please reopen and assign to the correct
version.  Otherwise, if this a security issue, please change the
product to Fedora Legacy.  Thanks, and we are sorry that we did not
get to this bug earlier.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.